Borovets

Borovets

Review of "Borovets"

published 25/03/2004 | ChemicalAl
Member since : 25/03/2004
Pro Cheap, cheap cheap and the people are nice.
Cons Food in the hotels was really bad.

"So good we went there twice."

Where do I start on Borovets? My mates and I love Borovets, so much we've been there twice and are planning a third trip there.
Well I've broken it down to the 3 main things to consider when planning a winter sports holiday:
1- Snow
2- Food
3- Apres Ski.

The snow in Borovets isn't amazing. They can be reluctant to switch the snow machines on the lower slopes which can be annoying, but if you stay up on the higher slopes there isn't usually a problem. We went last January and got 3 good days of snow. The year before we went in March and there was very little snow on the lower slopes, but was better higher up. This was when we found out they don't switch the snow machines on very often. There is some oppurtunity for back country and off piste, a favourite of mine is a run beneath the gondola lifts, but you have to look out for the pylons! In the evenings you can purchase a night lift pass that allows you on the lit runs until about 10 pm. If you get tired of skiing or boarding there are plenty of other activities such as toboganing, snow mobiles etc.

The food is good if you know where to go. Do not eat in any of the hotels, I'll repeat that, DO NOT EAT IN ANY OF THE HOTELS! Between my friends and I, we have been to almost all the hotels in the resort and every restaurant in a hotel looks like a line up of the different receipes for road kill. I think I saw some potato salad at one hotel, but couldn't be sure. Again, do not eat in any of the hotels. Your best bet is any one of the main restaurants in the centre of the resort. There is the most amazing steak house there, it's a wood cabin with the bar and kitchen downstairs and basic benches and long tables upstairs, sounds Spartan but its very nice. They cook the steak to order, so you do have to wait a little while, and you get a wide variety of sauces, and other dishes apart from steak. You can wine and dine like a king and still get change from ten pounds! There are lots of other restaurants and cafes ranging from chinese food to local dishes. you will also probably be offered a trip to a nearby village for a traditional Bulgarian meal. I have heard varied reports but have never been myself, so I'll leave that one up to you guys.

The Apres ski is brilliant, its what draws us back there. Theres something there for everyone! We usually frequent the bars, night clubs and lap dancing bars. All of them are great. The drinks are cheap ( around 25p upwards for a pint of beer or shot of spirits ), the staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. With there being a happy hour somewhere in the resort at any time of the day or night you can have a lot of fun without the usual expense. If karaoke is your thing there are plenty of bars that accomodate the budding Elvis and Tom Jones impersonators. There are several strip and lap dancing bars to choose from, but be warned the beer is expensive in these types of bars and if you don't give the waitress the correct amount of money she'll probably keep the change regardless. The hotel bars have some form of entertainment on in the early evening for families. There is also a ice skating rink on the main road open until quite late.

Other things you should know: shop around for your exchange rates, don't exchange money with people on the street because it's uaually counterfeit, only buy cigarettes from a shop because anywhere else and they are likely to be fake ( yes fake cigarettes )and leave you with a bad chest and sore throat, if you're lift pass isn't included in the package buy in advance off the internet ( you'll save about forty pounds for a weeks pass ), the hotels are pretty much the same apart from some amenities ( you don't have to be a resident to use hotels facilities ) and distance from the lifts, but equipment over there ( its the same stuff we have over here, only at about a third the price ), don't eat yellow snow and for Heavens sake DO NOT EAT AT ANY OF THE HOTELS.

I hope you've found this helpful in deciding on whether to go to Borovets, but wherever you go have fun.

• Silverback published 25/03/2004
    I'll never be a skier, but I enjoyed reading that a lot. Great style. Paul
  • floatingclouds published 25/03/2004
    What a brill first review! Sounds a fab place to go and drink for 25p can only be a bonus :-D
  • patriciat published 25/03/2004
    My hubby keeps harping on about going to Bulgaria, not for the skiing, just because it's cheap. Oh and welcome to ciao. Pat.t

Product Information : Borovets