Review of "Bosch Maxx"

published 01/11/2001 | dibalmond
Member since : 29/09/2001
Pro larger load, easy to use
Cons not cheap, large door might cause space problems
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"Not a Bosch Job"

Last month my Zanussi washing machine broke down. The warranty had run out so I had to get a new machine. I didn’t really know what I wanted, but having 2 kids, I knew I needed something reliable.

I checked my Which magazine and the report dated May 2001 recommended the Bosch Maxx WFL2450GB, the AEG OKO 72630 and the Samsung Sensor Quick Fuzzy SWFP1005. As the Bosch was rated the best for reliability I decided to make further enquiries about it.

I checked a few electrical websites and Currys were offering the best price at £398.95. So I went to Currys to see the machine in the flesh before I made my mind up.

I found the model I wanted straight away. It didn’t stand out particularly and the controls looked very basic. One for setting the programmes, one for setting the spin speed/rinse hold and four buttons. A Start button, a reduced Ironing button, a rinse plus button and a quick wash button.

What I did notice was the door, it is big and has a 180-degree opening angle and the drum was also bigger. It is all designed to make loading and unloading easier and the larger drum takes 20% more washing. The bigger door could be a problem if you are limited for space.

Specifications
Wash Performance A
Spin Performance B
Spin Speed 600 to 1200
Number of programmes 15

Currys do not charge for delivery, but if you want it installed the cost is £20.00. The next available delivery slot was within 3 working days. The washing machine has 1 year’s manufacturer’s warranty. Curry’s coverplan to extend the warranty to 4 years is an additional £139.00 or £179.00 to extend to 5 years. I thought this too expensive so I didn’t take it out.

On the day of delivery the driver was delayed, but eventually delivered the washing machine 7.30pm. The instructions were easy to follow. After removing all the packaging and the transport bolts we installed the washing machine, ensuring that it was level. All the connection pipes and waste pipes were clearly marked and easily connected. Both the hot and cold water supply must be turned on, as this machine cannot operate by a cold fill only.

Before you use the machine for the first time you have to run the machine on a hot cycle with no washing in it, using a small amount of detergent. This is to remove any water left from the testing procedures at the factory. The hot wash is a long programme, but it is a good way of checking that all the pipes are connected properly and that the machine is working properly before you put any clothes in it. I did notice that the programme selecter switch wasn’t moving during the programme, but the instruction book confirmed that this is because the programme sequence is electronically controlled.

My verdict, after using the machine a few times, is that it is very quiet and easy to use. Having a bigger door and drum, loading the clothes was no problem. You select the temperature and the type of laundry all by one turn of a switch. You can choose the spin speed, again from one turn of a switch. The detergent dispenser is quite big and has ample space for loose powder or tablets, as well as a compartment for fabric conditioner and extra detergent for the pre-wash cycle.

The 40 degrees wash programme, for easy care fabrics, takes about 75 minutes. Using the 1000 spin speed the machine was very quiet and it spun the clothes well. They didn’t seem too creased either, even without the reduced ironing button. All the clothes were clean and smelt fresh. After they had dried they seemed to iron a bit easier than usual.

The Bosch instruction booklet covers everything from unpacking the washing machine to packing it up again if you have to transport it. Everything is explained in simple, easy to follow terms and all the buttons and programmes are explained fully.

So far I am very pleased with my new washing machine. If this changes I will update this opinion. Hopefully, I won’t have to.

• CoffeeQueen68 published 06/04/2015
    vh
  • steffanc published 16/10/2010
    Thanks for that review, very informative, and easy to read. You don't happen to work for bosch do you...? =P
  • maximax published 13/11/2001
    sometimes this kind of machine iworks great till 2 days after the end of the garanty (sorry for mispelling) : it happends once to me ! good op, max.