Review of "Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover"

published 29/12/2012 | Graygirl
Member since : 20/04/2011
Pro Removes nail polish extremely quickly and easily
Cons More expensive than some standard liquid polish removers
Performance
Price
Harshness to Skin

"Dip, Twist, Remove - Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover"

Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover

Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover

Dip, Twist, Remove - Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover

I was recently lucky enough to win a few beauty products in a pre-Christmas competition, and this nifty nail polish remover from the excellent Bourjois range was one of my prizes. This product won Elle Beauty Awards 2012 for Best Nail Product.

The premise behind the Magic Nail Polish Remover is that you don’t need a bottle of remover and cotton wool pads, nor do you need a pack of removal wipes. This product claims to remove your nail polish in one second, simply by inserting each nail into a small indentation in the remover-soaked sponge that fills this container.

The bright pink tub is about 9cm (3.5 inches) high, and it contains 75ml of product. The Bourjois name is on the top of the front label, as is the phrase ‘Magic Nail Polish Remover’. There is a green banner that says ‘Instant removal’, and below that is the claim of ‘1 Second per nail, without cotton wool’. You are also told that this product contains ‘Nourishing sweet almond oil’, and that it has a ‘Red fruit & vanilla fragrance’. At the side of the label is an illustration of a nail being dipped into the product, and beneath that is the explanation of ‘Its Magic Power’, and your instructions for use: ‘All you need to do is dip each finger into the sponge, twist and remove. Nail polish is instantly removed without the need for cotton wool.’ We are also informed that this product is Acetone free and Paraben free. These instructions are written in French on the other side of the bottle.

After unscrewing and removing the round lid, you are then presented with a solid block of pre-soaked black sponge that takes up the whole of the inside of the bottle. This sponge has a small, centred indentation at the very top - and this is obviously where you insert your finger. Don’t be tempted to do what I did, and lean forward to sniff the contents of the bottle. Doing this doesn’t leave you with a pleasant red fruit and vanilla fragrance - instead, it leaves you with an extremely strong smell of nail polish remover and possibly a bit of a choking session.

Although I love Bourjois products, and have used many of their products over the years, I was initially sceptical about the powers of this ‘Magic’ product. When I paint my nails, I do it thoroughly - base coat, at least two coats of nail polish, and top coat. My first experiment with my prize came while I was wearing Opi nail varnish, which seems to have a reputation for being difficult to remove. The first time I used the Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover, I decided to do a comparison test, using my usual Sally Hansen Acetone-Free Nail Polish (the subject of a separate review) and cotton wool pads for my left hand, and using the Bourjois product for my right hand. Sally Hansen did its usual very good job, although a bit of effort and pressure was required to get rid of all the polish.

I doubted that one simple twist of the Magic Nail Polish Remover would remove my nail polish, and indeed this proved to be the case. However, when I dipped my fingernail into the sponge, rubbed my nail and twisted it around, I was then both amazed and delighted to find that it only took three twists for my nails to be completely free of every trace of their polish. I then looked at the state of the nails on both hands, and the nails that had had the ‘magic’ treatment definitely looked more moisturised and conditioned than the nails on the other hand. So far, so very good indeed.

My nails were left slightly fragranced, although I found it difficult to tell what the pleasant smell was, and wouldn’t necessarily swear to it being the ‘red berry & vanilla fragrance’ promised. There was a slight residue left on my nails, which I’m assuming is the sweet almond oil. If you wanted to paint your nails again straight away, this residue is easily rinsed away - or in my case, doing what I always do after using nail polish remover, and giving my nails a very gentle scrub with a nail brush

I never use glitter nail polish, and I understand that removing this might take a bit more of an effort.

I decided that it would be difficult to remove polish from my toe nails using this product, but thought I’d better give it a go for the sake of this review. My conclusion is that unless you are a contortionist with ballet training, so that you’re able to stand ‘en pointe’ while at the same time easing each toe apart from the other, and then twirling around like one of those dancing ladies in a girl’s jewellery box, it’s really not worth the effort. However, I think this product works brilliantly as a super-fast removal of nail polish on your finger nails.

Boots’ website describe this product as ‘Acetone-free formula, gentle on nails and cuticles. Enriched with nourishing sweet almond oil. Paraben free, Dermatologist tested’. (There are also a number of very positive reviews of this product there.) I certainly agree that this remover is rather more gentle on my nails than my Sally Hansen remover, even though that has been my favourite for a number of years. However, the comparisons work in Sally Hansen’s favour when it comes down to the cost. The Bourjois product contains 75ml of product, and costs £4.99, whereas my Sally Hansen Bottle contains 200ml and costs £2.45. And of course there are nail varnish removers that are even cheaper - a quick look at Boots’ website today shows products starting from £1.00 for 250ml.

You should keep the pink bottle/pot upright, as the black sponge is obviously soaked in nail varnish remover, and this would probably leak or spill if the bottle was left on its side. For this reason, I am unlikely to take it away on holiday, and for that purpose I will stick to my favourite little pot of Quickies Nail Varnish Remover Pads (which I reviewed last July). These pads work really well, the container is tiny, and in all my years of using them, there has never been even the tiny hint of any product leaking. I certainly wouldn’t want to put the Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover in my suitcase, although it might be OK in your handbag if you could be sure of keeping it upright.

Although this lovely Bourjois product is more expensive than my usual nail polish remover, and is less handy for taking on holiday than my usual wipes, I absolutely love it. There are times when I would love to get my nail polish cleaned away in a hurry, and with no messy cotton wool pads to dispose of, and that is where this product really comes into its own.

I like the fact that the internal sponge is black, as this means you can’t see any messy residue of your polish left on the sponge. I also like the fact that if you’ve made a mess of one nail during your manicure, it is very simple to effect a repair. However, I don’t like the fact that you can’t tell how much product you have left - unlike a bottle of remover where it is very clear how much liquid remover remains.

Boots, Superdrug and ASOS sell Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover for £4.99, and ASOS offer free delivery. There are a couple of eBay sellers who have this product, but I couldn’t find any savings to be made.

I am delighted to have won this beauty product, especially as I paint my nails often, and it’s such a brilliant, easy way to take the polish off. I would have liked to give it five stars, but am deducting one because of the cost. Will I be buying this once my much-loved prize is empty? Yes I will - I’ve been using this product for a few weeks now, and I love the ease and convenience. For me, that is worth spending a little bit more.

(This review is also on Dooyoo, under the same user name.)

• 80smusicreviewer published 11/02/2014
    Fantastic review. E.
  • Dentolux published 04/11/2013
    Brill review.
  • Tolteca published 03/07/2013
    Exceptional

offers "Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover"