Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover

Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover

Review of "Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover"

published 08/05/2013 | katykicker
Member since : 11/12/2005
Back writing & RATING! If you would like to be added to my COT please do let me know :) No need to thank me for E's unless you fancy a chat :)
Pro Works well, removes most of the nail polish first time, not overly smelly.
Cons Doesn't always remove all the nail polish the first time.
Performance
Price
Harshness to Skin

"Not quite magic... But almost!"

At the start of the year I was stocking up on some bargain Christmas/Birthday presents for this year when I saw this Bourjois nail polish remover. It was reduced from £8.00 down to £2.00 so I decided to snap one up and see if I liked it. Now according to what I can see online this normally retails for between £4 and £5, not the £8 quoted on the site I bought it from, but I still believe I got myself a bargain!

This nail polish remover is a little different to others. The idea is that you remove the lid, put your finger in the pot, where it will go inside the middle of a sponge, then you press down lightly and twist your finger. Do this back and forth for a couple of seconds, remove your finger and then your nail polish will be removed.

Now in theory it isn't quite as simple as this, but it does still work great. This pot is a plastic pot with a fairly large screw top lid. The black sponge within this sits on top of what I can only assume is some nail polish removing liquid. I can hear this sloshing around if I shake this pot. There is 75ml of this liquid underneath the sponge, in what appears to be quite a small space. The sponge then soaks up some of the removing liquid and holds it in place allowing you to remove your nail polish with ease without worrying about liquid pouring everywhere. The packaging tells me that this has a red fruit fragrance but I haven't really noticed this much. There isn't an overwhelming smell of nail polish remover, which is great of course as I am prone to suffering from bad headaches when using strong smelling products.

Putting the instructions in to practice is actually very simple, just as simple as I guess it sounds to you reading this. I put my finger in the pot, turn it left and right while pressing down slightly to ensure my whole nail is in the sponge, then after a few seconds I remove it. Once I removed my nail I found that 3 out of 5 nails on one hand had all the polish removed the first time. On the other finger and my thumb I found that there was some polish remaining and I had to put my finger back in at least 2 more times to remove it completely, as well as rubbing my nail around a lot in the sponge. Obviously this is inconvenient as I could have just removed the polish in the same amount of time using liquid and cotton wool pads - my usual method.

When I paint my nails I normally use a bath coat, apply one or two coats of the colour and then use a top coat also. All of this is to try and keep my nail polish on as long as possible and stop it from chipping. This might be why it is a little more tough to remove all of the nail polish, particularly on my two largest nails, but I will expect a product quoted as being 'magic' to actually work some 'magic' and remove everything quickly and efficiently.

I must say that I have noticed a difference to the skin around my nails and the nails themselves after using this. My nails and skin look less damaged and harmed and have more of a moisturised look. Also, when I wash my hands afterwards there is no nasty smell left behind, unlike when I use my standard nail polish remover I had been using when I starting using this.

I have tried using this to remove nail polish from my toes, as I usually paint them the same colour as my fingernails at the same time, but I have come to the conclusion that for me this is virtually impossible. If you had some weird double jointed toes or ankles you might be able to try this but personally I have been sticking to use cotton wool pads and nail polish remover on my toe nails, with great results.

Overall I would say that this is worth 4/5 stars. It does work effectively at removing nail polish and the fact that I usually have at least 4 coats of different products on my nails could be the reason why I sometimes have to dip my finger nail in this once again. The price that I paid was reasonable but I feel that if I had paid £4.99 or the ridiculous £8.00 quoted when I bought mine that I would have been sorely disappointed and would have perhaps rated this a 3/5 because of the small amount of liquid, 75ml, and the hefty price tag. The container needs to be kept upright to prevent leakage, as you might expect so this isn't really suitable for travelling at all. It does work though, as advised, even if it isn't a magic 1 second nail polish remover. I have been pleased with the results and although my sponge is now coated in different colours (which is evident when I remove a nail that has been stripped of polish to find a murky coloured liquid on it) I would buy this again, although probably not for £4.99.

I have found that I can use this for about 12 nail polish changes, 3 per week on average for me, before the liquid within was too badly coloured to continue using. The sponge has started to dry out slightly now indicating to me that the liquid is running low or has evaporated and so I am going to be discarding this nail polish remover and continue using a previous method of cotton wool pads and nail polish remover.

• prettypolly40 published 10/05/2013
    I like the idea of these but there is something about it that I dont like and wouldn't purchase it for that reason. Glad you like it though.

offers "Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover"