Boxer

Review of "Boxer"

published 02/03/2003 | GeordieNo1
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Burglars Stay Well Away
Cons Alien Didn`t Slavver That Much!

"A Boxer Is Special"

So you`re toying with the idea to expand the family beyond the 2 point 4 children, eh? Kids have dragged you around every pet store, kennel, rescue centre and you are all sitting round the dining table each putting forward your case as to which you think is the breed for you.
I say Boxer every time. In fact, I loved my oldest one, Homer, that much I bought him a little brother, Arthur!
What makes a Boxer special over and above any other breed I have knowledge of is thier ability to adapt to the mood of the house. When I wanna play, boy do they want to too! When I want to sleep, no arguments there neither and properly trained, they will not chew through your favourite armchair or Gucci shoe ... unless you are a silly owner who gives your Boxer puppy an old shoe to chew on, then when he`s finished with that he moves on to your new Gucci pair naturally ignorant of the difference! A Boxer will tolerate your friends and family, particularly children but is very wary of strangers until properly introduced. Boxers are also keen to play with other dogs too.
It must be noted however that while Boxers are totally compatible with me and my family, they are not with others so beware. Boxers normally grow beyond 5 stone. They are great lap-dogs but only until they are 3 months old! They are also very strong. There are heavier breeds of dog than a Boxer but a Boxer is constructed like no other and is almost pure muscle.
However, they do not break the bank when it comes to feeding. A top quality dry complete meal and water will suffice for life.
Oh and er, cast your mind back to that Tom Hanks film Turner and Hooch. Remember when the dog stood on the bed and shook it`s head soaking everything in sight with translucent goo? Yep, that comes free with a Boxer too! So you can forget about buying those navy blue velvet drapes!
Sadly, my older Boxer suffers from Hip Dysplasia which unfortunately is inherent in the breed. However, treatment via a vet is available and he continues to live a normal life, albeit a little slower than a couple of years ago.
So yes, I would recommend a Boxer but please be considerate when buying one. It`s like the old adage "A pet isn`t just for Christmas" and as a devoted dog lover, I urge you all to heed that.
You will be pleased with your choice though but when you walk down the road (Guys) it`s not you the ladies are breaking thier necks to look at!

• FelineGroovy published 24/03/2004
    Great op - I have a rescue Boxer called Ruby. She's 7 and very ill (the big C, terminal) but you wouldnt know it. Might have been worth pointing out the health problems associated with Boxers, but all in all, you had it spot on! :o)
  • emmaclaire published 26/05/2003
    We used to have a boxer called Samson, and he was ace! We were the only house on the street that didn't get burgled during a spate of burglaries because Sam slept on the kitchen table in front of the window! He had a habit of checking who everybody was by sniffing their crotch and getting slobber everywhere, but he was great! Emma x
  • CJD007 published 12/03/2003
    Very good points, not a dog fan though!

Product Information : Boxer