Fiction - Children's - ISBN: 0385604793 - ISBN13: 9780385604796

Review of "Boys Don't Cry - Malorie Blackman"

published 15/01/2017 | stacey2911
Member since : 23/10/2013
I'm Back after over a month of not having a laptop
Pro a great quick read
Cons not suitable for younger more sensitive readers
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"Boys don't cry..... or do they?"

Boys Don't cry
Malorie Blackman
Released: 2008
Pages: 302
Genre: Young adult

I am such a bookworm, I love reading and escaping into someone else's world for a little while. My local charity shop are currently over stocked with books so they are doing 'fill a bag for £5' I grabbed a few, wasn't missing out on that bargain.

I've read a few of Malorie Blackman's books and especially loved the Noughts and crosses series. I've recently lost my reading mojo so been trying to get it back, I've read a few pages of books then put them down again I must have started about 7 or 8 books. I just needed an easy read to get back into it and this book was perfect for that. Malorie Blackman books are generally easy reads which are aimed at teenagers rather than adults which I'm suppose to be.

This book is told by two brothers Dante and Adam. Dante is eagerly waiting for his A level results, he's desperate to get great marks and go off to university to be a journalist, there was nothing stopping him reaching that especially as he had 4 A stars... That is until his ex Melanie turned up with a baby. Dante was surprised to see her, she left school over a year ago and hadn't kept any contact with anyone. Melanie dropped a huge bomb shell on Dante the baby was his! He was shocked to say the least he had only had sex once and it didn't last very long and now he's a dad. Melanie leaves Dante to look after baby Emma so she could go to the shops to buy some baby things but she calls him and tells him she's going up north and he's being left with the baby. Dante is worried about his life and how he'll go to university with a baby. He has quite a selfish attitude he looks online about putting her up for adoption but he can't without the mother's permission and he had no way of contacting her so he looked into foster care. Dantes dad and brother loved Emma and having her at their house. Dante's Dad wants him to step up and be a good dad but Dante just wants to get as far away from her as possible. Things changed quickly as the bond between Dante and Emma developed. Adam loved being an uncle and worshipped Emma he longed to be a father himself one day but didn't see how that was ever going to be possible as he's gay. Adam was a very confident 16 year old, who knew he wanted to be an actor and nothing was going to stop him, he didn't care who knew he was gay and he had a very sharp tongue. Adam got seriously hurt one night he was left covered in blood and rushed to hospital.....

I really liked this book it deals with a lot of issues that many young people might face, like being gay and not being accepted by your family as it's 'just a phase' and how quick people are to judge young single parents especially dads. More of the issues raised are:

Abandonment
Teenage Pregnancy
Sexuality
Bullying
Abuse
Peer Pressure
Overdose
Manipulation

The issues raised might not be suitable for all. Younger readers may find some chapters disturbing and sensitive. I would say this book is more aimed at young adults rather than children.

Dante: A 17 year old who has his whole life mapped out, great A level results and high hopes for university.
Adam: Dante Gay Brother who starts off as a chirpy young 16 year old full of life
Emma: Dante's daughter
Melanie - Emma's mother who abandons her
Collette - Dantes girlfriend, feeling neglected tells her sister a social worker that Dante isn't coping.
Jackie: Dante and Adam's Aunt who offers help and support
Their Dad: Quick to jump in with any problems but finds it hard to show any emotion
Joshua: Dante's friend, In the closet
Logan: Joshua's best friend
Paul: Dante's friend

The characters are really good, I started off disliking Dante for being so selfish but there were also times where I felt like I could relate to him, being a single parent. I like it when you can relate to a character or have strong feelings towards them mainly hatred for what they could do to someone.

About the author
Malorie Blackman is a successful children's author, She's mostly known for writing the emotional Noughts and Crosses series. I really like Malories writing style her stories are usually written from the different points of views of 2 or more characters.

I really enjoyed this quick read, I read it in a day such an interesting read about how a family's life can be turned upside down by just a knock at the door. Reading from both Dante and Adam's perspective was a real eye opener. I learnt a bit about how it feels to not be accepted for the person you are and for someone close to you not to believe in you. I would recommend this book it's been a nice change to my usual books and has helped me get my reading mojo back. Now on to the next book.

• euphie published 24/01/2017