Review of "Branston Pickle"

published 15/03/2005 | mi_ke
Member since : 17/08/2003
Pro Gorgeous on a cheese sandwich!
Cons I will only eat it with cheese!
Smell
Product Quality

"Bring out the Branston!"

We have been buying Branston Pickle for years. It has never been one of those things, like soy sauce or vinegar, that just stays in your cupboard, hardly used that just gets left to pass its use-by date.

I love anything like that, I have been known to eat a full jar of silverskin onions, or those tiny little gherkins. Even as a child only then I would drink the vinegar too! So I seem to have a taste for anything sour and tangy.

Branston pickle has been around for donkeys. It has had many revamps, and new products added to the range, but it still remainds the original and best.

~What to look for~

Branston comes in, and always has done, a glass jar with a screw on lid. It has a mainly gold label, for the original one, and a red label for the sandwich variety, which I am reviewing today. The label displays the familiar Branston 'shield' which has changed ever so slightly a few times over the years, but still remains un-mistakeable.

My jar is flashpacked (theres some retail jargon for you!), meaning a special offer is indicated somewhere on the back. It has a yellow strip across the top of the label with ''33% EXTRA FREE!'' written clearly across it. Branston, in most supermarkets is usually found with the tomato ketchup and pickled onions, usually above the freezers.

~What does it taste like and what is it??~

Well it all depends on what meal you are complimenting with Branston. My Dad for example will have it with almost anything! Corned beef, chips, cheese, salad......but me, I'm a bit more fussy! Typical! I will only eat this with cheese, on sandwiches or with cheese as part of a salad. Maybe occasionally, I have been known to eat it with crumbed ham off the deli counter.

It is crunchy, and tangy, you can really get a taste of the onions, and it is perfectly mixed with the special Branston sauce. Its like eating my favourite silverskin onions, chopped and in a sandwich, only not so tangy, but it's tangy enough!

Because the jar I have in front of me now is Sandwich Pickle, it is great for spreading! I love Branston with grated mature chedder, or crumbly white cheshire cheese in a roll or on plain white bread.

Many people think that Branston is chopped onions in the special Branston sauce. So did I, until I recently read the label to find it was actually a mixture of Onions, Carrots, Rutabaga, Cauliflower Marrows and Gherkins!

~Nutritional~

The V in the green bubble on the label indicates that this is suitable for vegetarians, although I'm not too sure as to wether it's ok for Vegans. Although, judging by the listed ingredients, it seems ok. Check first though!

Allergen Advice: Contains Sulphites.

There is no nutritional information located on the label. Something to hide maybe? Hope not! It does statethat it is low in fat, but as we all know, it all depends on what diet you are on!

~How much and where from?~

For a 310g jar, this costs 79p in Waitrose, 99p in Sainsbury's for a 450g jar, and in Asda it is 90p for a 450g jar.

As you can see it is available almost at any supermarket and convenience store. Get some for your cupboard now!

~Overall~

An excellent accompaniment for cheese or ham sandwiches/salads, or for some people it can go with anything! I really reccomend this to anyone who likes a bit of tang in their food! The only problems with it is, the lack of nutritional info (I like to know what I'm eating) and in my view, the limited range of food it is good with.

Crosse & Blackwell, the makers, can be contaced at:

Premier Ambient Products (UK) Ltd
Bridge Road
Long Sutton
Spalding
Lincs
PE12 9EQ

Thankyou for reading, please r/c if you can. Mike x

• magicloudz published 18/06/2006
    It's great in a ham sandwich!
  • kittyfluff published 20/03/2005
    Yuk! I hate Branston.But I do love gherkins and Silver skins...I bet I could crunch you under the table!What in Gods name is a Rutabaga?! You've just made that up!x
  • susan1967 published 20/03/2005
    Cheese and pickle sarnies yum. BTW what is a rutabaga? I've never heard of it. xx