Breville Cool Wall Deep Fat Fryer

Breville Cool Wall Deep Fat Fryer

Review of "Breville Cool Wall Deep Fat Fryer"

published 22/04/2002 | MarkKerr
Member since : 23/01/2001
Satisfactory
Pro Cheap
Cons extremely limited functions

"You've had your chips...."

We invested in this deep fat fryer quite recently, intending to use it for a variety of food - chips, chicken etc. Unfortunately, being in somewhat of a rush that day and faced with a wide range of prices, we plumped for the basic £19.99 fryer. Its nice and white and holds I can honestly say that this is a case of you get what you pay for.

The instruction are basic - they couldn't actually be much else as this fryer:

Has no on/off switch - plug 'n' play I suppose
No range of temperature setting
The cool wall isn't - it does heat up noticeably
The automatic temperature control merely heats the fat to a certain temperature and switches off
The lid 'locks' into place to avoid accidents - a worthy feature - however, its a pain to actually get off when the fryer has been on as the cool wall and lid both heat up to an uncomfortable degree. Additionally, when removing the lid, the steam actually flows throught the lid, meaning your hand is steamed every time - not a good idea!

Chips can be cooked no problem and very tasty they are too. But attempting to cook any other frozen foodstuffs is a bit of a lottery though - chicken is difficult ensure thorough cooking - you either get barely cooked or something that resembles and tastes like charcoal!

To sum up, if you want chips with everything, and you have heat resistant hands,it does the job and is a decent basic fryer. If you don't want to exist on a diet of chips, then invest a bit more money in a fryer you can control

• maximax published 30/04/2002
    good op :) ma x.
  • JoJammy published 23/04/2002
    Last time I checked I didn't have heat resistant hands so I had better watch this fryer!! LOL :) Jo
  • peppersinclaire published 23/04/2002
    Hi Mark, this was a pretty good opinion - the list of disadvantages being very handy. What sets this back from being VH in my mind is that it is a tad short, and seeing as there are no "Ciao buttons" at the bottom, maybe including where you got this from, why you decided to stick with it despite the hand burning issues etc. would bump this into VH territory? Let me know in my guest book if you add to it, and I'll happily come back and re-rate for ya. For an example of what I'm talking about, check out mumagain's opinion "Would you prefer flame grilled or plain black" on the Kenwood DF220. Cheers, P$