Breville TR52 Sandwich Toaster

Breville TR52 Sandwich Toaster

Sandwich- / Waffle Makers / Grills, Sandwich / Waffle Makers, Grills

Review of "Breville TR52 Sandwich Toaster"

published 20/07/2010 | sarahbarrow
Member since : 11/05/2007
Well that was the longest couple of weeks break I've ever had! xx
Pro A great unit, easy to use and easy to clean.
Cons None.
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Chocolate or cheese, you decide!"

After initially buying a cheap toasty machine for my husbands fathers day present last year, then it breaking within a couple of months, I decided that I needed to invest, and lets be honest Breville is always going to be the name you will turn to for quality!

After much perusing (of the Argos catalogue!), it was decided that the “super clean” version was the way to go, my reasoning was the detachable plates for easy cleaning, and my husbands because it was reduced in price due to a sale happening at the time!

The machine itself is very aesthetically pleasing to look at, being a sleek and smooth design and coloured silver, though not the stainless steel variety, but more rushed steel, meaning less streaks when wiped over with a cloth.

To open you gently release the plastic catch at the front and lift the lid. Inside there is a double plate, top and bottom (obviously!), that is significantly deeper than the afore mentioned cheaper branded one we had before.
Each plate is black and non-stick, though be under no illusions of just how sticky cheese can become once melted and burnt onto them!

To use you simply plug in (there are no on or off buttons, just the plug!), then once the light on the front of the unit changes from red to green you can start assembling your sandwich.

We are extremely boring in my house, with my children sticking to cheese, and me with chocolate spread and mashed banana…ok, that concoction was a fallout from a pregnancy craving many years previous, but has stuck with me since, like marmite on crumpets!

The instructions (alongside the care side of the product) explains that to get a good colour and seal on the edges of the toastie, you should very lightly butter the outer side of the bread, this in turn also helps them to not stick too much, though no matter how hard I try the cheese always manages to squeeze out of some small gap.

You will need to force the lid down when closing onto your layered sandwich, though the hinges do allow for this, and as the toastie cooks the pressure on the hinges becomes much less and we have had no problems with them so far.

When finished with, and you will need a considerable amount of cool down time, even if left open lidded, the plates can be unclipped very easily from there catches to be washed up, which again is fantastically easy, though you will need plenty of washing up liquid due to the amount of grease residue left on the surface of them.

Once dry you can simply pop the plates back, and they look as good as new, and this is with plenty of use, my children love them!

Price wise this cost us £19.99 from Argos, but being a high quality product with such a well known name, these are pretty much available from everywhere.

This is a fantastic unit that I have had no problems with at all, recommended.

Thanks for reading x

• AnneLorraine1 published 26/07/2010
    great review
  • liolia79 published 26/07/2010
    Sounds and looks great!
  • Praski published 25/07/2010
    I too love Marmite on crumpets. Super review.