Breville VST005

Breville VST005

Review of "Breville VST005"

published 22/08/2011 | kathboo
Member since : 16/05/2011
House-proud mum, mature student, reader & writer. Thanks so much for my ratings, I promise to return the favour! x
Pro Works well, plenty big enough
Cons Could do with an automatic cut off
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Brilliant Breville strikes again"

I love toasted sandwiches. For some reason a cheese toastie always tastes so much better than cheese on toast, so I was excited when I decided to traet myself to a toated sandwich maker. The Breville didn’t disappoint.

They do two machines the same, one is simply larger than the other, making 4 sandwiches rather than 2. I went for the larger one of the two; in hindsight, I should have got the smaller one simply because it is a smaller machine and easier to store. I got confused when I bought it, thinking the larger one used 4 slices of bread (2 sandwiches) rather than 8 slices of bread (4 sandwiches). Not to worry though, it means I never have to use the machine twice.

Although it is quite difficult to store because of its size, it is a smart looking product, so looks attractive enough to be left out neatly in the kitchen. It is made of stainless steel so, kept clean, it always looks neat and smart. It has a lockable clasp to the front which keeps the unit closed tight and locked during cooking to ensure the sandwich binds together well.

It is a simple unit to work, with or without referring to the clear instruction manual that it is supplied with. The toaster is switched on to warm up; a light indicating when the product is the right temperature to begin cooking. The top is then lifted open, bread and filling are added, and the machine is closed and locked. A light indicates when the toastie should be ready, and then the lid can simply be lifted and the perfect toastie taken out and eaten – yum. I was impressed with the outcome of the sandwiches. The bread and filling were cooked evenly, with no burning or sogginess, and the sides were binded together well so there were no leakages. I am always careful not to overfill the sandwiches though as I think this is what can lead to messy leakages. It also produces a perfect seal down the middle of the bread so that the toastie can be neatly cut in half. The only thing is that there is not an automatic cut off on the machine that stops the cooking when it is ready. For this reason you need to keep an eye on when the toastie is ready to prevent overcooking or burning.

The unit is fairly simple to keep clean on the inside too. Provided there are no messy leaks or dried on food, the grill inside should just wipe clean quite easily. For more dried on foods it may be advisable to just heat up the unit a little before cleaning. The plates inside are non-removable to clean, which some people do find a problem. To be honest though, it doesn’t get very messy anyway so this shouldn’t cause too much of a problem. The inner plates are also made of a non-stick metal which means the toastie easily lifts out fter cooking – no need to be prising it out with a knife!

At a price of £25 from Argos I believe I have got very good value out of this unit. It is regularly used, I am pleased with the results, and it doesn’t take much cleaning or maintenance. A recommended buy.

• dawnymarie published 22/08/2011
    I love toasties - I fancy one now! x
  • Elysia2003 published 22/08/2011
    Well worth the extra money, over a cheaper version x
  • Stephiej published 22/08/2011
    I have the samller version of this, and I love it too! S x

Product Information : Breville VST005

This four slice sandwich toaster from Breville has non-stick hot plates making it easy for you to remove melted cheese, crumbs and any burnt on fillings. A cut and seal system allows you to toast with large or small slices depending on your preference. Finished in smart brushed stainless steel and silver, this sandwich toaster has integrated cord storage and can even be stored upright, so it will look attractive on your worktop even when not in use.

EAN: 5011773032797, 5011773032803