Bring Me to Life - Evanescence (Single)

Bring Me to Life - Evanescence (Single)

Single Track from Evanescence - Genre: Rock - Release Year: 2003

Review of "Bring Me to Life - Evanescence (Single)"

published 19/03/2011 | CGholy
Member since : 17/06/2010
Getting back in the swing of things
Pro Fantastic atmosphere, vocals, lyrics and music.
Cons Might be too dark and deep for some.
Originality
Quality of Lyrics/Music
How does it compare to the artist's other releases?

"Save me from the dark"

Lead singer and main structure to the group.

Lead singer and main structure to the group.

After years of performing EPs and demos, American rock band Evanescence were finally ready to release their official debut single in 2003. No one expected the track would reach such strong international peak. It charted at number 1 in the UK and blessed the group with a Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance. It set them up to be one of the best known female fronted bands to date. The success continued when the debut album, Fallen sold over 15 million worldwide and was also a number 1.

Lead singer Amy Lee has a smoothly fragile tension in her voice which becomes the main hook in the song. She doesn't come across as whiny or desperate in her vocals, even in her high notes which helps make the track sound rather organic and refreshing. The heavy haunting tone in her voice makes her vocals very distinctive and strong.

I really like the lyrics on this because I can see the track can be interpreted in different ways. I've imagined it as a song about a cry for help because a person needs to find the last resort. I could see the song also be interpreted about a lonely person wanting love. I found them thoughtfully imaginative and deep while making them very easy to follow and relate to. Strong song-writing from Ben Moody, Amy Lee and David Hodges.

"How can you see into my eyes. like open doors?
Leading you down into my core, where I’ve become so numb.
Without a soul, my spirit sleeping somewhere cold,
Until you find it there and lead it back home." - First Verse.

The musical arrangements go well with the song too. I thought the mellow pianos gave a good effect while the heavy guitars brought along the strong conflict that saved the song from sounding a little corny. Guitarist of Ugly Kid Joe, Dave Fortman did some very vibrant job as a producer.

"All this time, I can't believe I couldn't see
Kept in the dark but you were there in front of me
I've been sleeping a thousand years it seems
Got to open my eyes to everything

Without thought, without voice, without a soul
Don't let me die here
There must be something more
Bring me to life." - Bridge

My favourite part of the song is the bridge were guest vocalist, Paul McCoy and Amy Lee sing lines to each other. It has more of a stronger climax than in the chorus where the same sort of technique is used. I believe Paul has decent vocals too. It sounds very similar to other male artists in rock bands, but there is some good power in his voice. His growly parts add to that dark atmosphere.

Certainly a track I would recommend, if you like this track you may also like their songs, My Immortal, Missing and Lithium. It's a stand-out track from their debut as well. Can't really find anything I dislike about the track, the atmosphere of the track may be a bit too dark for a couple of people, but I personally loved it.

I've seen people who aren't into rock or heavy music in this style greatly enjoy this song and play this on thier iPod. I've found the song gives more of an impact when watching the music video, which is available to download on iTunes for £1.89 or watch it with the link I've posted below this paragraph. I liked the part where Paul is trying to save Amy from falling but he fails. It gave the song more of an atmosphere, particularly the wind and city sounds.

• shellyjaneo published 24/10/2015
    vh x
  • 18steveo published 19/03/2011
    blast from the past , thanks for bringing that song back to my attention !!
  • angelboouk123 published 19/03/2011