Review of "British Army"

published 16/12/2001 | veramck
Member since : 11/11/2001
Pro social life excellent,
Cons not good for children

"How to be a good wife of"

This is my opinion on being a "wife of" in the British Army, for those of you who don't know this is how the army refer to you officially. This was my only problem with the British Army they see families as excess baggage.

Now I know they don't really have time to worry about the families of service men when there are wars etc. going on but they could make a bit more effort to make us feel wanted after all they usually say happy wives men happy solidiers.

I spent eight years as an army wife, my husband got out after the Gulf war, during this time I did not have any problems as I am quite self sufficient and don't mind spending long periods of time on my own when hubby was of saving the country or someone else's country. However, I should note here that at these times there is the added worry of what if hubby doesn't return and it is awful to see a black staff car pull up outside someones house with the Commanding Officer and the Padre, as you know the worst has happened. Unfortunately this is the saddest part of being an army wife.

I would not recommend this life to anyone who needs a lot of support as its just not there. Now the familys office do try but they are after all solidiers at the end of the day and this is where there loyalities lie. There is the wives club if you like a good bitch about everybody else and if your face fits.

The best people to help in a crisis are SSAFFA, these people do a lot of good work and are extremely helpful. They are trained social workers with a few volounteers and are very supportive of young wives with children who are finding it difficult to manage.

The good things I have to say about being an army wife is the travel is usually good, I spent six years in Germany and had a great time, however, I had to put my career on hold as there are very few jobs for professionals, although I did eventually get a job in a medical centre.

The social life is fantastic, especially mess do's, although you must adhere to the rules and regulations, no short skirts! and don't dare go to the bar as you won't get served, although this usually isn't a problem
as it is usually waiter service.

Not ideal if you have children, their education can suffer if you are moving about every 2/3 years although the army recommend boarding school, and will help with the fees but not everyone wants to do this.

Overall, I would recommend to all those free spirits who don't mind being alone for long periods of time.

Ps. We've been settled in civvy street for 10 years now, so maybe things have changed for the better, it would be interesting to hear!

• dreamscancometrue published 20/12/2005
    good review
  • Sihan published 29/08/2004
    I do think what you write is exceptional... you can't tell until you've lived the situation... I wish you good luck !
  • Sihan published 29/08/2004
    I would not recommend this life to anyone who needs a lot of support ===> I do agree and it's the same when you are a female officer (I mean in the French Army)

offers "British Army"