British Medical Association

British Medical Association

Review of "British Medical Association"

published 30/08/2010 | dynamicnurse
Member since : 30/07/2007
Pro See text.
Cons See text.
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"BMA - I thought that was an airline!"

I would just like to write a review of those books that are published by the British Medical Association (known hereafter as BMA for shortness or ease of use!), that being the actual subject matter that I found when looking online for an area to write about. I actually in fact only intended on writing about one book in particular that I bought not all that long ago, but I am unable to find it on here and so therefore you will have to make do with a more general one instead!

Just for a quick introduction to them, the BMA is a trade union and professional association for doctors of all grades from students to top level consultants and beyond (if that is at all possible!). Therefore, in order to receive help from them actually as an organisation the main criteria is that you at least studying medicine in order to take it up as a profession! Otherwise should you want support from an organisation such as this, then it is best to go to one in your own field!

However with all of this said, I will say in their favour though that they do actually in fact produce a lot of information for people to use who aren't doctors. Their website (www.bma.org.uk) has a lot of information for 'the rest of us' to read, and they do also produce a lot of books that are sold in many bookshops around the country.

Which in a sense I would guess would lead me on to the area in which I wish to focus in on mainly, that is those books that are produced for lay people to read through that are published in conjunction with Family Doctor Books - BMA being the people who provide the information, and Family Doctor Books with the know how of how to put a book together.

All of their books are written in conjunction with specialists in whatever filed the book is written on, so take for example the book that I have only just recently bought. It is on ADHD and Autism, and the two people who have written it are both consultant psychologists who are also senior partners in a Harley Street firm with clinics also in many other places. So you could say that they have a bit of an idea over what they are talking about!

The basic layout of the books that they produce are normally along the lines of the following:

Introduction - just by means of a way in to the subject.
Case studies - getting people to look at certain individuals (although fictional are based on those real life cases) in order to see how things can develop in them.
Further information on the subject matter to hand - ways it presents itself; treatment; support available, and so on.
Useful information - support networks and their contact details that are specific to that particular health related condition.
Your pages - an area for those individuals who may well be suffering with a condition to write down things such as any treatment that they may be havinh and any appointments that they may have.

Other books within this series include Diabetes and Blood Pressure, and I would be lying to you if I said that there was a comprehensive list on their website but if there is then I can't find it! However with that said, they do have the facility available for you to contact them in order to get some more information.

I found this book in WHSmith, which is where I have actually in fact seem them being sold in the past. But that is not to say that they aren't actually being sold anywhere else, but I would have to say that it would only really be a case of looking to see where! Of course, the Internet is always a good place to start... My copy was marked up at $4.95, but they sold it to me for 20 pence less!

For your own information and by way of concluding, I would first of all just like to say that there are various pieces of information on their website for us all to look at that ranges from general health conditions; through current priorities in healthcare, to those ethical type areas such as euthanasia and so on. Read at your peril!

However, I would just like to thoroughly recommend them as an author to you as you can be sure that you get what you want from them. They know what they are talkign about, and the prices aren't that bad either!

• mighty_scoob published 15/09/2010
    Informative and well written :)
  • djohan published 01/09/2010
    Nice title!!! LOL
  • JasonJRogers published 01/09/2010
    Fab read!

offers "British Medical Association"