Briwax Original

Can be used on bare or finished wood to give a high shine and durable finish. Not recommended for use in high moisture situations.

Review of "Briwax Original"

published 17/07/2017 | Pam222
Member since : 30/11/2013
Hello. Is anyone else having difficulty rating other reviews?
Pro A little wax goes a very long way
Cons None really
Drying Time Duration

"Did Briwax? No I Waxed !"

Briwax Original

My, my, last year seemed to fly by but the first six months of 2017 appear to have vanished. We are all another year older but hopefully not deeper in debt. The house and garden always keep us busy, however, this year we seem to have been busier than usual. Last summer we spent hours in the polytunnel, come greenhouse, come workshop, endeavouring to transform lengths of timber into occasional tables and storage chests. I think we have watched too many episodes of the addictive television series entitled “Money for nothing”. Two of the side tables turned out well and now take pride of place in our small but airy living room. Three large wood storage boxes with padded fabric covered lids were hijacked by our daughters and a large pine chest found a new home with my sister in Brixham. Carpenters we are not, enthusiastic amateur wood crafters we are! Or were as the case maybe, as this year the workbench, saws, drills, chisels, sandpaper, wax and hammers lay idle on the long work surface in the watertight outhouse. If anyone needs some screws, nails, staples or hinges then I am your woman! So, let’s chat about Briwax, the product I am going to try to review. In years gone by I have bought wax polish and I love the fresh odour of the waxy substance, however, until last spring the name Briwax meant little to me. So, does the natural wax clean, stain and polish as claimed?

The Bullion Dealers May turn their Nose-Up but the Local Council make good Money from Recycling Old Iron!

The squat round can is eye-catching. Look closely at the white paint on the circular tin pot and you see Briwax is printed in large forest green font for the entire world to see. A bee flutters above the green and gold lettering on the medium-sized metal container. The circular white metallic lid fits tightly into a silver rim on top. Can the empty can be recycled? I should imagine the receptacle is recyclable but you would have to wash it out before dropping it into the recycling bin. Periodically, the dustbin collectors stick their heads into the deep grey plastic troughs to check that householders are complying with the rules and regulations.

Waxing Lyrical

Take a screwdriver. Slide the long blade under the lid and prise the shiny top off. The rich, heavy smell of the wax fills your nostrils. The thick creamy coloured polish fills the tin and the fragrance is nothing short of amazing. What does the waxy substance look like? The polish looks like a slab of cream lard. Is it hard or soft? It is neither. The rich wax varnish is somewhere in between, hence it is easy to apply with a soft cloth.

What did we Wax? Legs, Arms, Chin? No! A Big Pine Chest!

For once, we were pleased with our efforts. Our hard work had paid-off and the finished trunk come blanket box looked extremely smart. Made from reclaimed timber, which had to be planed and sanded, the finished article was much admired by many. The electric planer complained bitterly as it was repeatedly run over the old floorboards and lengths of used fencing and the orbital sander was at the end, a shadow of itself. We scoured Amazon and eBay to locate a couple of large brass handles and I studied numerous YouTube tutorials on how to stain, varnish and wax wood. In the end, like Frank Sinatra, I did it My Way.

Stain, Wax and Shine

Using a small paintbrush I applied a liberal coat of wood stain to the dust-free wood. The porous pine drank the stain. In the end, three coats were required to create the desired effect. The pale patchy planed and sanded pine had morphed into a glowing golden wooden surface; however, we wanted a shiny box and we hoped Briwax would help to make the wood glow.

I dipped an old but clean cotton dishcloth into the can and rubbed the soft cotton fabric over the polish, ensuring the wax coated an area of the white lint-free cloth. Using a circular motion, I applied the wax polish to the wooden surface. I continued to polish the wood until every square inch was covered. In my wisdom, I decided to leave the wax to settle and dry before polishing off. The Briwax sank into the wood grain and the freshly polished pine smelled wonderful. I forgot to wear latex gloves, so my skin smelled almost as good as the newly-waxed chest. I had to pop up to the bank and go into the Co-op, so I decided to buff the surface later in the day when the heat died down. I found a couple of old linen tea towels in the kitchen cupboard and thought they would make great polishing cloths. Indeed they did, using a great deal of elbow grease I slid the thin fabric over the wax until the wood began to shine. I would say it took a good hour to make the wood gleam. The wood shone but not as brightly as I had hoped, so I applied another coat of wax and repeated the entire process. So, did Briwax live up to expectations?

The Bronze Age

Yes. Staining and waxing had transformed the chest into a bronze beauty. The two large handles were fixed into place and the item of furniture was complete. I felt we ought to line the inside with felt, but the cost of felting was prohibitive. Yes, I could have created a calico lining or made a liner from a length of mattress ticking but it wouldn’t have looked as appealing.

Briwax versus Other Wax Polishes

There are many kinds of polish on the market. Some are cheaper than others but Briwax is no more costly than any other. In my opinion, the rich waxy substance helped me to create the desired finish. I felt the product offered good value for money. One 400g can cost less than nine pounds in hardware stores and supermarkets and a little polish goes a very long way. Seal the lid down tight after use; store the goods in a cool place and the remaining wax stays as fresh as a daisy.
The wax is available in a range of colours including antique brown, antiqued mahogany, clear, medium brown, antique pine, dark oak, walnut, rustic pine, Spanish mahogany, honey, teak, old pine, Jacobean and Tudor oak.

• euphie published 21/07/2017
    e :o)
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 19/07/2017
    For some male readers the phrase "newly waxed chest" may well have painful memories!
  • justarube published 18/07/2017