Brompton L3 Bicycle

Brompton L3 Bicycle

Road Bikes

Review of "Brompton L3 Bicycle"

published 01/03/2008 | claire47
Member since : 15/02/2008
Pro Very easy to fold and good to ride
Cons Not fantastic at off road
How does it compare to similar products?

"Brompton L3"

I have a Brompton L3 that is now approx 3 ½ years old. I use it everyday to commute to work - I cycle to the station, fold it up and take on the train and then cycle the other end about 1 ½ miles to work.
I love the bike and although it was expensive I think it has been good value for money considering how often I have used it.
It folds up easily and quickly and so many people are amazed when they see it folding. I have found that it is so small when folded that I manage to keep it under my desk at work.
I have bought one of the front panniers and it was a great decision. I can keep work papers (and my handbag) in it and when I take it off the bike to say go into a meeting, still looks relatively professional.
I have found that the tyres puncture very easily unless you keep the tyres pumped up (you really need to check that this is done at least once a week - I wasn't doing this to begin with and found that I was frequently getting punctures in my rear tyre. It is then quite a pain to replace). I did buy the Kevlar tyres to see if they made any difference - the only thing that did was me not being lazy and pumping them up regularly.
I've only got the 3 gears that came as standard. I find that they're fine for me - I live in Bath which is not particularly flat and the gears are good - I don't think that I could ride up a really steep hill on the bike, but then again I don't think it is really designed for that. They seem well spaced apart and so there is a gear perfect for small hills and also cruising along the flat.
I usually cycle along roads / flat surfaces, which is absolutely fine. I do find that the grip on some of the cycle paths in the rain is not fantastic and you do have to be careful when cycling at speeds around sharp corners in the rain - my husband has managed to fall off my Brompton in this situation. I have taken it along rougher surfaces, such as the canal towpath and it was ok, although again, you need to be careful as the tyres don't grip to the paths all that well.
Plus points:
• Really easily to fold up and very compact when folded. Easily fits in the boot of a car (I have found it will fit in the boot of a Ford Ka with a little juggling)
• Distinctive looking
• Made in England
• I love it!!
Negative points:
• Not ideal for long journeys or off road
• Expensive (although I think you get what you pay for)
My husband has just purchased a Dahon Speed P8 and he has been comparing it to the Brompton - it doesn't fold up nearly as neatly and as compactly and therefore isn't as easy to transport on public transport or by car. It does however have slightly bigger wheels and for a slightly larger person might feel a bit more sturdy.
For me however, I'd recommend the Brompton every time!!

• JoePoirot published 03/03/2008
    I cannae ride a bike to save my life so I'll to take your word for this. Welcome to ciao.
  • martinwi published 01/03/2008
    Actually, I've just notice the pictures are from someone else. Either way, its still helpful.
  • martinwi published 01/03/2008
    I've given this a very helpful review. Although its short, it has helpful points and its uses. I love the pictures of it being folded down and this really helps a great deal. This is the sort of thing I'd like to know if I wanted one. Well done. Martin.