Brook Street - Recruiment Agency

Brook Street - Recruiment Agency

Review of "Brook Street - Recruiment Agency"

published 26/09/2001 | anjib
Member since : 19/12/2000
Pro I find they have quite a lot of work, rates of pay are not bad and you know exactly what you are getting
Cons temping isn't for everybody
Quality/Suitability of job offers
Office personnel/Consultants
Consultant feedback time
Range of prospective employers
Flexibility of office hours

"How many words a minute can you do"

Once again, I find myself trawling around the temping agencies in Coventry and signing on with some of them and handing out my CV left right and centre.

I had a career break to bring up my family, and now Adam has started school full time I want to have a few hours a week work as I don't want to be at home all day, will only sit on the computer all day and not do any housework, so may as well get paid for the pleasure.

I only want to work school hours during term time, so I am quite limited as to the placements that I can go out on. I have temped twice before (2 separate periods in my life) and Brook Street was the first Agency that I went back to. Let me take you through the registering process.

First of all you call in (most of the time you don't need an appointment). You will be seen by a friendly Recruitment Officer (always female in Coventry). You can tell them what sort of work you are after and they will take a look at your CV, so it is a good idea to take one along with you. They can offer you advice on CV writing if you need help.

They will put you on their computer that tests you on all of the main packages that are used in offices these days, plus things like copy typing, speed typing, audio typing and shorthand. You have warm-up excercises first to get your fingers and brain co-ordinated. In my experience, they look for accuracy rather than speed. The computer will automatically evaluate your results and print them out for you.

Back down stairs to see the Officer and they will take your work history details down and it is all now recorded on computer rather than an application form.

If they are happy with you, you will be given a contract and you will sign a copy and retain a copy for yourselves. There is an optional clause that you can sign stating that if you work over 37 hours per week you can do, and to inform Brook Street beforehand. I think you get some sort of extra cover to work longer hours. I think this refers to the warehouse/driving side of placements more than office positions.

You give them your tax and bank details (you will be paid every week, one week in arrears)so long as you return your timesheet by the following Monday morning.

Their computers will match you up to any suitable jobs they have available, and if you can make the placement they will issue you with a time sheet and off you go. They will inform the temporary employer before you arrive so they know who to expect. Timesheets normally come through the post on the Friday or Saturday.

Rates of pay vary from job to job. Some of the other agencies pay a minimum wage plus a bonus if your employer thinks you have worked well. I prefer Brook Street's way of paying. You know exactly what you are getting. Your payslip will also come through the post to your house.

Temporary workers are now entitled to 14 days paid leave a year once they have completed 13 full weeks. These don't have to be consecutive weeks.
I have found that I get quite a lot of work through them.

• KathrynE published 05/10/2001
    This reminds me I might have to do some temping soon. I don't think there is a brook street around here though.
  • moose published 28/09/2001
    I didn't realise you lived in Coventry - I know that area very well. I used to live in both Warwick and Nuneaton until last year. Good opinion.
  • GraingerN published 27/09/2001
    I will be doing exactly the same next year when my daughter goes to 'big' school (as she calls it). Very helpful information thanks! Nichola

Product Information : Brook Street - Recruiment Agency