Brook Street - Recruiment Agency

Brook Street - Recruiment Agency

Review of "Brook Street - Recruiment Agency"

published 10/11/2009 | Sunnymui
Office personnel/Consultants
Consultant feedback time
Range of prospective employers
Flexibility of office hours

"More hassle than it is worth - Will harass your references!"

I'm new to temping, but even I know there's professional and non-professional behaviour.

I've left university, and I'm looking for work, so my friend recommended Brook Street. Personally, my experience has put my future into the red as well.

--REGISTRATION--
-The usual - Typing tests (on computers that are slow and ancient) and normal shortcuts that don't work, so the outcome is questionable and not a true reflection on your ability with Microsoft Word or Excel, which is pretty basic.
-Fill in forms
-Cursory chat with a consultant (who is not actually listening!) and who will sugarcoat assignments!
--WAITING--
-I was constantly ringing them, but there was no work.
-Late Friday evening, I get a call asking me to go to an interview for a prospective job. Then a call 10 minutes later, saying "Actually, no need."
-Then I chase up this so-called job at Brook for the next 2 weeks - sending my phonebill sky high! Who then fob me off, saying, "It's yours, just wait for a bit."
-Waiting, waiting, waiting for 4 weeks - Nothing!
-Then sign up with other agencies, and they ring about another job, so I turn down 3 jobs in the meantime!
--THE JOB--
-Late one evening, I get a call about a job - I accept.
-They say they need references, and Criminal checks, for bank work for the last 5 years- fine.
-They don't then tell me they'll sort it out, or ask me who I need to contact. Or if they do, they say "Contact your old boss" which I do. And then turn around and say "Oh we did that for you." Despite telling me to do so.
-They then go off their own back, and ring my old school, references, and anyone who I may have listed on the off-chance (without my consent or knowledge).
-I am then inundated with complaints from schools, universities, and references, teachers, and friends who say they have been hassled and harassed by Brook.
-My references are now SERIOUSLY ANGRY (don't blame them) and unwilling to reference me in the future.
-When I complain to Brook, they don't accept my complaint, saying they were doing their job. Despite, not telling me what they were doing, and completely leaving me out the loop. Saying it's part of their job (what - not to inform me that they're using this information?) And even go as far as saying, my references, and institutions are being unprofessional!
-Other agencies pay for NI and CRB checks - Brook don't! They give you about 6.00 per hour, and take the rest in commission, and expect you to pay for checks such as the CRB.
- AND I STILL don't know when I'm supposed to start work!

So be very careful with Brook, and your references!

• catsholiday published 10/11/2009
    Useful to know - good luck with your job hunting.

Product Information : Brook Street - Recruiment Agency