Review of "Brother PS-33 Sewing Machine"

published 27/12/2005 | dreamscancometrue
Member since : 15/11/2005
Pro good allround home use machine
Cons makes you want to fix everything
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Why Bother with a Brother? Because its worth it!"

I brought this sewing machine several weeks ago now, from our local electrical supplier in town, so as yet I'm not sure how readily available it may be in the high street shops, my sister who is a factory machinist recommended it to me, she said it is an ideal machine for home use.

I haven't had a great deal to use it on yet, but I have so far turned up two pair of jeans which the machine handled with great ease, also I adjusted a pair of silk pyjamas where again the machine worked perfectly, I tried to do this with my last machine, with disastrous effects, as the material would slip and thread would miss spaces.I have also adjusted my daughters bedroom curtains and using the heming function it gave a very nice finish to them.

As you maybe able to tell from my review I'm not a sewing specialist and can only tell you what I now and understand from the basics.

I've found the usage I've needed so far very easy, and I may try some braver projects as I become more confident in my and the machines ability.

Setting up is simplicity in itself, it literally is take the machine out of its box and plug in the foot peddle to the machine, plug into the electric and away you go, an automatic light comes on, which enables people with tired eyes like mine, much better sight of what your doing.

Bobbin winding and bobbin insertion is again very simple to sort out, and even if you have no knowledge of sewing, should be very easily sorted out, as the instructions are simple to follow and will have you sewing in no time.

My machine cost me £199.00 but I see from another review only £189.00 was paid, so there is obviously variations in price according to where you purchase the machine

I've listed below all of the machines functions and stats, I'm not saying I understand all of them yet, but so far the machine as worked perfectly well, if there is going to be a problem, it will more than likely be my abilities rather than the machine.

Exclusive PS Features
· 29 Stitch Functions
· Stitch Width Adjustments
· Needle Position Adjustment

Quality Features
· 1-step "Auto-Size" buttonholer creates a perfectly uniform buttonhole every time
· Stitch balance control assures equal stitch density on both sides of the buttonhole
· Built -in blind hem and stretch stitches provide a professional finish on a variey of fabrics
· Free arm/flat bed convertible sewing surface
· Accessories for zipper insertion, buttonholes and button sewing included
· Twin needle for two-colour stitching
· One-step bobbin clutch switch for fast and easy bobbin winding
· Electronic no heat speed control
· Snap-on presser feet
· Main Power switch
· Stitch Length control
· Horizontal and vertical spool pins
· Forward and reverse sewing
· Adjustable thread tension control
Drop feed lever
· Lightweight and compact with built-in handle for portability
· Unit Dimensions: 375 x 170 x 285 (mm)
· Unit weight: 7.2 (kg)

• Nar published 27/12/2005
    A good review but only a few features listed on the machine that can be found on many a sewing machine - whats the vital differences?
  • mumsymary published 27/12/2005
    its ages since I used my sewing machine .
  • Newfloridian published 27/12/2005
    I'll put one on my Christmas list for next year - especially the snap-on presser feet!! - NF