Review of "Budget Recipes"

published 01/03/2004 | BUBBLES171
Member since : 15/10/2003
Pro those pennies stay in your purse
Cons none

"Low Cost Meals for under 50p a portion"

Having to budget on food means that I still want a bit of variety of everything, some are good and some are bad but on the whole most of it is healthy so here are some of my recipies.

Tuna Sweetcorn Mayonaise Pasta
-----------------------------------------------
1lb Pasta
1 Tin of Sweetcorn
1 Tin of Tuna Fish
2 Dollops of Mayonaise

Cook Pasta, throw in tuna and sweetcorn and mayonnaise and mix together.

Total Cost of Ingriedients is under £1, serves 6 good portions - averaging out at 18p per portion.

Tomato Pasta
-------------------
1lb of Pasta
1 stock cube
1 tin of tomatoes

Cook pasta add stock cube and tomatoes and mix, again 5 good portions, total cost is 30p, works out at 6p a portion

Brandy Ginger Raspberries
--------------------------------------
Minature of Brandy
Portion of Raspberries
Packet of Ginger Biscuits
Carton of Cream

Take the ginger biscuits out and the raspberries and put some raspberries on the biscuit and build this layer up to around 3 bisuits, dribble a bit of brandy over and cover in cream. This is a lovely desert and whilst it costs around £3.50 for the ingriedients, you an easily get 7 portions out of it. The biscuit half soaks the brandy in the fruit and the biscuits make it nice and crunchy.

Crunchy Potatoes
------------------------
1lb Potatoes
3 onions

Mash the potatoes and cut the onions into chunks and mash together. makes 4 good portions and costs only around 10p a portion.

Prawn Curry
-----------------
2 onions
Tin of tomatoes
portion of Prawns
Curry powder
Rice

Throw prawns in with the tomatoes and some curry powder and add the onions. This is a low calorie curry which is one of mine which is posted on the WeightWatchers Website, it contains only 2 points on their diet. Obviously the rice is extra and this costs around 50p a portion.

Strawberry Milkshake
-----------------------------
Punnet of Strawberries 2 for a £1 - market
1 pint of semi skimmed milk
Cut strawberries and put into liquidiser and add milk. It goes really thick and can be used as a drink or if left to chill in the fridge can be used as a desert. Cost is £1.50 - 4 portions - 37p each

There are a lot of budget recipes that you can use such as shepherds pie and fishermans pie for main courses. However if you search around for cheaper ingridients then it is very easy to make sure that you are getting a full and nutritional balanced diet.

Just because you are living on a budget does not mean to say that everything you eat has to be cooked in fat. I use my George Foreman lots and have no cooker and just have a microwave combination.

Whilst mainly I have to budget and buy mainly store brands when I have a bit extra money I do buy better quality food and stick to my 5 fruit and veg a day. Summer is when i find that fruit and veg are quite cheap so we tend to go to the farm to pick fruit and veg up from there. It is organic and it very popular in the summer season.

Of course you have to be very careful as I have bought cheaper food before now and it has tasted absolutely awful. But not all cheap food is like that. Look at me and Nouvelle Loo Roll. Expensive and Awful - Tescos Own Brand was cheap and cheerful.

As I am on a budget I do look out for things like BOGOF offers and luckily for us this week at Tesco there has been a lot of food that we eat on offer so for the time been my food cupboard is stocked up with goodies.

My definition of been rich in life is when I can walk around the store buying the food I want to without having to mentally add it up in my head.

Karen :0)

• unixgirl published 05/04/2005
    These recipes look fab and so easy. Think I'll try the prawn curry soon. Thanks! N.x
  • rosillew published 08/03/2004
    Mmm made me feel hungry.... I often make the tuna pasta one, and sometimes I swap the tuna for tinned pink salmon as a nice alternative, I have also done the prawn curry before now, but I like the sound of the crunchy potatoes as change from plain ones......Heatherx
  • Pumpkin published 08/03/2004
    Can you eat loo roll then?! Hannah

Product Information : Budget Recipes