Buffet RC Prestige Bb Clarinet

Buffet RC Prestige Bb Clarinet

Clarinet

Review of "Buffet RC Prestige Bb Clarinet"

published 08/06/2011 | lyndzi76
Member since : 22/05/2011
Pro Pure sound, gentle key changes
Cons Pricey
Quality of sound
Playability
How easy is it to buy accessories?
How well constructed is it?

"Blown Away"

I have owned my Buffet Crampon clarinet for 7 years now and has served me very well. I started playing at school and have had the same clarinet all the time.
Although I don't really play anymore I can not bring myself to sell it.

I paid £800.00 for my second hand clarinet from the local music store, it came in a lockable hard box with a red velveteen insert. The recommendation of the guy in the shop was that Buffet Crampon was the best for the money I was looking to spend. This clarinet definitely lives up to expectations and more.

**A little history**
The clarinet was developed by Robert Carrée (a French musician) these designs started in 1825.

My clarinet is Key Bb and produces a very pleasant, pure mellow sound.
Has 17 keys and 6 rings.
The keys are padded for comfort while playing allowing a smoother key/note change.

This clarinet claims the following -
Hand burnished bore : Improve intonation and centers tone
Egg-shaped inside bell shape : Greater sound emission
Conical lower joint and bell : Softer tone color and easier response
Power forged silver keywork, preplated in copper and finished in silver plate : High quality long lasting finish
Silver plated adjustable thumb rest : Adjustable for optimum comfort
Undercut tone holes : Improves tone and ease of response.

**My opinion
I would say anyone looking to purchase a clarinet to look at this model/design as I believe it is ideal for beginners and intermediates a like.
I think 9 years ago I had a good price (but this was second hand) You can get second hand ones in the region of £200-£500 and a new one would set you back between £1800 - 2000.

For me this product has only lost marks on the price.

• martinrobinson published 08/06/2011
    good review ;)
  • Nar2 published 08/06/2011
    I have an E11 that I also learnt on at school. I'd say here youd be better to put more info here rather than pin pointing. Having tried the Prestige a couple of times, my E11 is simpler, although very rare now and was at the time, the one below the Prestige. I found the weight a bit heavy on the Prestige plus the over elaborate keys meant getting to springs/mechanisms for custom adjustment could be trickier.
  • Zurich11 published 08/06/2011
    Great review and interesting info. Once tried to make a note on a clarinet & only managed an awful squeak & hated the tingly feel on the lips! Kate xx