Bulb

Bulb

Review of "Bulb"

published 06/12/2017 | RICHADA
Member since : 20/06/2004
Pro Accessible. Competitive. Green. Small.
Cons Not yet!

"CIAO WON'T PAY YOU, BUT RICHADA CAN - BULB!"

WE’VE SEEN THE LIGHT

I recently reviewed EDF who, until two weeks ago, provided our energy needs and, following that review, an old Ciao mate of mine commented that: “Martin Lewis is forever going on about people who have stayed with the same utilities supplier for years and, I must confess, I'm stunned to discover you were one of them”. Well I had been hopping from tariff to tariff at EDF, but it was not until they attempted to hike our bill by approximately 30% at the end of last month that the pressure was on to switch to an alternative supplier.

There was a little more to it than that, for some years I had been concerned about buying gas and electricity from a huge, French nationalised company, and on principal decided that I would prefer to be purchasing from a much smaller, English one.

By nature I am conservatively green, actively recycle and do not overheat the house, making sure the lights are turned off upon exiting a room. I abhor waste in every form and that goes for things that you cannot see such as gas and electricity, just as it does for throwing away food for example.

However, there is also a lot of pure bunkum spouted about green energy by many concerned parties, many who have disguised vested interests in various forms of energy production. Most ill-advised, or just ignorant, of all; our government, witness the latest tax loading on new diesel cars, probably, overall, the very least polluting vehicles on the road……

THE BOILER HEATS, THE SWITCH TURNS ON THE LIGHT

An increasing number of consumers are genuinely environmentally aware and, within reason, are also prepared to seek out and, if necessary, pay a premium for green or renewable energy.

The “big six” energy suppliers, such as EDF, have no choice but to maintain a broad portfolio of generating methods in order to supply its several million customers with their power requirements. The reality is that around 50% of their electricity is generated by nuclear power – they operate all eight UK nuclear power stations.

Bulb are a minnow in the energy market with just over 200,000 customers on their books, this allows them to flagwave their green credentials, claiming that all of their electricity, and 10% of gas comes from renewable sources.

Since switching I have noticed no change in the lighting levels around our house, have not needed to turn up the TV, nor indeed does our exhaust waste from the boiler smell any different at all……

……In short, the gas and electricity supply is exactly as it was previously, right down to – and through – the same meters as were supplied by EDF. Is our gas and electricity REALLY any cleaner, greener and more environmentally friendly than it was this time last month?

Just call me a cynic then!

WHY BULB?

As is the sensible thing to do, and with our last twelve months consumption figures in hand (not absolutely necessary. But it helps!) I ran our dual fuel requirements through two different search engines – the results were remarkably similar. What I also discovered during the course of the exercise is that there are regional variations in energy costs – my results and energy quotes could actually vary from yours, depending on where you are reading this.

Having said that, both results showed another supplier as being cheaper still, Bulb were second on the rankings, at about 65% of EDF’s projected cost, there were some more independents before the big six appeared with quotes ranging from 85% (SSE) to 100% - EDF my previous supplier of EDF’s proposed tariff cost.

Then I set about doing what I do, reading online reviews, weighuing up the pros and cons. When more than 50% of the reviews use terms like “amateurs” “bunch of cowboys” “Don’t bother with the bargepole” etc, I tend to stay clear; obviously the cheapest one was cheap for a reason. Bulb however had a huge majority of positive reviews and rates, the less than positive ones being from some time ago – always a good sign that, a company that actually reacts to customer feedback, the best was yet to come though…..

WHAT? JUST THE ONE TARIFF!

…..Now here’s a novelty, how many energy consumers – me included – have cursed the big six companies for their multiplicity of various tariffs, hiding under a multitude of small print, all carefully designed to bamboozle the consumer into paying more than they need to – even to the same supplier.

Not here at Bulb, they offer just one, internet, paperless tariff for all, making the attached smallprint very easy indeed to digest, not to mention the fact that it is written in plain, simple English – which makes the customer far more inclined to actually read what they are signing up to. Effectively, what Bulb are doing here, is offering their best tariff to all customers, it makes life so much easier.

As with all other energy suppliers these days, you will need to be prepared to read your own meters and upload the readings to Bulb via the internet. After the “Switch” reading you will receive an email meter reading request every four weeks. I have yet to experience this, but according to Trustpilot reviewers, Bulb are quite quick to respond, changing their standing order charges to suit your meter readings.

In a show of confidence, unlike many energy suppliers, if you find a better deal elsewhere, they do not charge you to terminate your contract with them, even better, if your current supplier DOES charge you to leave, Bulb will buy you out of your existing contract by paying the charge when you switch.

HOW ABOUT BUYING MY FAVOURS HERE?

I have very mixed feelings about Bulb’s approach on this one, both negative – hating pyramid selling schemes – and positive – “gifting” their advertising budget to their customers.

Reading all those Trustpilot reviews, whilst universally glowing, alarm bells were ringing in that they all appeared to be “incentivised” reviews, at the bottom of each was a sign up link to Bulb Energy. If you sign up to Bulb through an existing customer’s link code, both you, and they, benefit from a £50 credit to your account.

I figured that using this £50 “bonus” would for some period of time actually make Bulb the cheapest supplier on the market as far as we were concerned – I picked a review at random and clicked on the link, within two weeks of my account becoming live I received a message from Bulb saying that our account had been credited with £50, I trust the “linkee” was so credited too.

Obviously in this way existing Bulb customers are going to sing the praises of their energy supplier, if you have enough friends and family and can get a couple a month to sign up you have the potential to never pay another penny for your energy needs!

Should you read this, think it is a good idea and wish to thank me for introducing you to Bulb, please feel free to use the following link:

bulb.co.uk/refer/richard6649

Both of us will be rewarded £50 into our energy account.

So far, in all honesty, I have not found a downside to Bulb’s refreshingly simplistic approach, and, as a businessman myself, you can never over-estimate the value of word of mouth recommendations, not to mention retaining the goodwill of existing customers.

THE BIG SNIP, SORRY, SWITCH!

Switching energy suppliers used to be fraught with difficulty, people being billed by two companies for the same gas or electricity being far from unknown – I have two friends who had just this happen over recent years.

However, my very recent energy supplier switch experience actually went faultlessly, Bulb doing exactly what they said they would, when they said they would do it. The whole switching process was handled by Bulb, they taking and passing on to EDF to close that account, meter readings which I provided to them on line. I very quickly received confirmation from EDF both via email and letter that the account was closing. Amusingly this was accompanied by a begging letter, intimating that they would match another tariff if I contacted them by phone with details of my new suppliers offer – I feel this is a particularly underhand, if not positively unethical, way of doing business and had no intention of staying with them.

SO FAR, SO GOOD

It may be regarded as early days to be writing such a review and only time will tell how well, long term, Bulb treat us as customers, but so far I have to say that it feels very good to be buying electricity and gas from a smaller, friendlier and so far, much more efficient energy supplier. That its’ green credentials are also much stronger than most can only be a bonus and will be an attraction to many potential customers too.

© RICHADA 6.12.2017

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 10/12/2017
    I'm in the MSE switch club!
  • fatboyslim published 09/12/2017
    Gets an E from me.
  • danielclark691 published 08/12/2017
    Very cunning review! This could be a very profitable review indeed, with many external reads!

Product Information : Bulb

Listed on Ciao since: 03/11/2017

Bulb - Review - CIAO WON'T PAY YOU, BUT RICHADA CAN - BULB!

RICHADA 5

RICHADA

About me: ++ "RICHADA" possibly looking for a new outlet - suggestions in a GB please! ++ Any takers for the theory that WITHOUT remuneration Ciao! could actually be a better consumer review site????? Just an 'out loud' thought here...... ++

Member since:20.06.2004

CIAO WON'T PAY YOU, BUT RICHADA CAN - BULB!

06.12.2017

Advantages:
Accessible .  Competitive .  Green .  Small .

Disadvantages:
Not yet !

19 Ciao members have rated this review on average: exceptional See ratings
  1. LiveMusicLoverLyn
  2. fatboyslim
  3. mumsymary
  1. danielclark691

WEVE SEEN THE LIGHT

I recently reviewed EDF who, until two weeks ago, provided our energy needs and, following that review, an old Ciao mate of mine commented that: Martin Lewis is forever going on about people who have stayed with the same utilities supplier for years and, I must confess, I'm stunned to discover you were one of them. Well I had been hopping from tariff to tariff at EDF, but it was not until they attempted to hike our bill by approximately 30% at the end of last month that the pressure was on to switch to an alternative supplier.

THE BOILER HEATS, THE SWITCH TURNS ON THE LIGHT

The big six energy suppliers, such as EDF, have no choice but to maintain a broad portfolio of generating methods in order to supply its several million customers with their power requirements. The reality is that around 50% of their electricity is generated by nuclear power they operate all eight UK nuclear power stations.

In short, the gas and electricity supply is exactly as it was previously, right down to and through the same meters as were supplied by EDF. Is our gas and electricity REALLY any cleaner, greener and more environmentally friendly than it was this time last month?

Just call me a cynic then!

WHY BULB?

As is the sensible thing to do, and with our last twelve months consumption figures in hand (not absolutely necessary. But it helps!) I ran our dual fuel requirements through two different search engines the results were remarkably similar. What I also discovered during the course of the exercise is that there are regional variations in energy costs my results and energy quotes could actually vary from yours, depending on where you are reading this.

Having said that, both results showed another supplier as being cheaper still, Bulb were second on the rankings, at about 65% of EDFs projected cost, there were some more independents before the big six appeared with quotes ranging from 85% (SSE) to 100% - EDF my previous supplier of EDFs proposed tariff cost.

Then I set about doing what I do, reading online reviews, weighuing up the pros and cons. When more than 50% of the reviews use terms like amateurs bunch of cowboys Dont bother with the bargepole etc, I tend to stay clear; obviously the cheapest one was cheap for a reason. Bulb however had a huge majority of positive reviews and rates, the less than positive ones being from some time ago always a good sign that, a company that actually reacts to customer feedback, the best was yet to come though..

WHAT? JUST THE ONE TARIFF!

..Now heres a novelty, how many energy consumers me included have cursed the big six companies for their multiplicity of various tariffs, hiding under a multitude of small print, all carefully designed to bamboozle the consumer into paying more than they need to even to the same supplier.

Not here at Bulb, they offer just one, internet, paperless tariff for all, making the attached smallprint very easy indeed to digest, not to mention the fact that it is written in plain, simple English which makes the customer far more inclined to actually read what they are signing up to. Effectively, what Bulb are doing here, is offering their best tariff to all customers, it makes life so much easier.

As with all other energy suppliers these days, you will need to be prepared to read your own meters and upload the readings to Bulb via the internet. After the Switch reading you will receive an email meter reading request every four weeks. I have yet to experience this, but according to Trustpilot reviewers, Bulb are quite quick to respond, changing their standing order charges to suit your meter readings.

HOW ABOUT BUYING MY FAVOURS HERE?

I have very mixed feelings about Bulbs approach on this one, both negative hating pyramid selling schemes and positive gifting their advertising budget to their customers.

Reading all those Trustpilot reviews, whilst universally glowing, alarm bells were ringing in that they all appeared to be incentivised reviews, at the bottom of each was a sign up link to Bulb Energy. If you sign up to Bulb through an existing customers link code, both you, and they, benefit from a 50 credit to your account.

I figured that using this 50 bonus would for some period of time actually make Bulb the cheapest supplier on the market as far as we were concerned I picked a review at random and clicked on the link, within two weeks of my account becoming live I received a message from Bulb saying that our account had been credited with 50, I trust the linkee was so credited too.

bulb.co.uk/refer/richard6649

Both of us will be rewarded 50 into our energy account.

So far, in all honesty, I have not found a downside to Bulbs refreshingly simplistic approach, and, as a businessman myself, you can never over-estimate the value of word of mouth recommendations, not to mention retaining the goodwill of existing customers.

THE BIG SNIP, SORRY, SWITCH!

Switching energy suppliers used to be fraught with difficulty, people being billed by two companies for the same gas or electricity being far from unknown I have two friends who had just this happen over recent years.

However, my very recent energy supplier switch experience actually went faultlessly, Bulb doing exactly what they said they would, when they said they would do it. The whole switching process was handled by Bulb, they taking and passing on to EDF to close that account, meter readings which I provided to them on line. I very quickly received confirmation from EDF both via email and letter that the account was closing. Amusingly this was accompanied by a begging letter, intimating that they would match another tariff if I contacted them by phone with details of my new suppliers offer I feel this is a particularly underhand, if not positively unethical, way of doing business and had no intention of staying with them.

SO FAR, SO GOOD

It may be regarded as early days to be writing such a review and only time will tell how well, long term, Bulb treat us as customers, but so far I have to say that it feels very good to be buying electricity and gas from a smaller, friendlier and so far, much more efficient energy supplier. That its green credentials are also much stronger than most can only be a bonus and will be an attraction to many potential customers too.

RICHADA 6.12.2017

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

LiveMusicLoverLyn 10.12.2017 11:01

I'm in the MSE switch club!

fatboyslim 09.12.2017 08:57