Review of "Bulmers Scrumpy Jack Cider"

published 11/01/2002 | WallyD321
Member since : 08/05/2001
Pro True Cider, still with bits of apple and cloudy. Strong stuff.
Cons Can't be used in Snakebite. Not to everyone's taste.

"Here's to apple juice"

Ciao is all about forming opinions, right? Let me tell you the opinion you'd form about me and my drinking habbits if you saw me going into a pub. 22 years old, 6'0", cropped hair, 16st rugby player... are you getting the suggestion of lager-lout? Well how wrong can you be, I never touch the stuff. Cider and Guinness (Review on the black stuff coming soon) are my tipples, and I'm not scared to admit it either, mind you I'm not scared of much being the size I am.

The first time I ever tried cider I was 18 years old and on a lads holiday down in Weymouth (Dorset) with a few mates. We'd been driving round and came upon this little cider-house. We decided to pop in for a quickie on the way home...

Two hours later we stumbled out of the cider-house p****d as newts. I was so intoxicated I could barely see. (Apparently the expression 'Blind Drunk' comes from cider drinkers.)The taxi back to the caravan cost us £20 and we went straight to bed; I've loved the stuff ever since. The 'grog' we drank in the cider house was a local brew, but the closest commercial cider to it is 'Scrumpy Jack'. Scrumpy Jack still contains small bits of apple, which, as far as I know, do not stay in any of the other commercial ciders. The aroma given off by scrumpy jack is fantastic, like walking into an apple orchard in mid-autumn, sweet and thick, you could almost chew the smell.When it comes to actually drinking it your taste-buds are assulted by the strong, sweet taste.

The correct way to drink cider is in small glasses NOT PINTS, so if you're just starting down the Apple Orchard Lane which leads to BEING PLASTERED then take it slowly, please.
Also if you are going to use cider for snakebite (Cider, Lager and Blackcurrent) then use Strongbow, Blackthorn etc. These are dry ciders and taste much better in snakebite.
If you are considering trying Black Velvet (Guinness and Cider) Then don't have more than 2 pints, you get drunk from the feet up, so you feel fine until you go to walk to the bar and fall flat on your face.
Lastly... mine's a pint of Scrumpy Jack!

• JasonJRogers published 02/03/2011
    I used to drink this, i'm a stella's man myself!
  • Charis_of_Avallach published 21/02/2003
    Excellent op on the old lumpy jack as me and some friends affectionately call it. Do have to beg to differ on a few points (16stone rugby player to 16stone rugby player of course). Scrumpy Jack is often mistaken as a sweet cider but it is really just a sweeter dry cider, admittedly it doesn't de-hydrate your mouth like some commercial ciders. I'm not a fan of commercial ciders but Lumpy is one of the few i will drink. As a former city centre barmaid one of our most popular snakebites was Stella and Scrumpy and the scrumpy was also first choice for many a Black Velvet (the secret to a good one is to beat the air out the cider before adding the black stuff)
  • stevethesleeve published 13/01/2002
    Ah yes...we've been down the Black Velvet route many a time...don't pub floors taste crap? Steve