Buried(DVD)

Buried(DVD)

Review of "Buried(DVD)"

published 06/12/2010 | MrBrightside1987
Member since : 06/08/2010
Make today count because we ain't getting it back!
Pro Ryan Reynolds was brilliant and the story was fantastic!
Cons Soundtrack was weak and maybe could of done with a bigger cast!
Did you enjoy it?

Buried (DVD)

Buried (DVD)

(Film only review)

Buried

The movie is set in 2006 in Iraq, Paul Conroy (Ryan Reynolds) is a US truck driver, but after his convoy is attacked and he blacks out he suddenly awakens buried alive, bound and gagged, with only a lighter and a mobile phone. Although he first has no idea as to how he got there because he suffered a short term memory loss, he soon starts to piece together what has happened and realizes why hes here buried alive. Paul gradually remembers what happened to his convoy and friends. After finding the mobile phone buried with him in this small coffin underground, Paul attempts to get in contact with his wife and his employers who had gave him a safety number if anything like this should occur but he is only able to leave a message for both of them. Paul is able to get into contact with the FBI, but they cut off before he can explain the situation due to a bad signal with him being underground buried. However, he does realize from the questions the FBI officer asked him that he has been kidnapped. The kidnapper contacts him from this mobile phone that is left in there with him and ask for a ransom of $5m to be released alive and for no one to get hurt, but this is then lowered to $1m. Paul has a number of tasks to do throughout the movie, if he doesn't then these terrorists will exact their revenge and start by killing his family and friends and leaving him to rot underground. Can Paul get out alive? will they find where Paul is buried in time before its to late? You will have to watch to find out all I can say is prepare for the worst. This movie is brilliant, with a major shock that actually shocked me and a brilliant story, possibly the best I have seen as of yet.
Did You Enjoy It?

I loved it. It was a high tempo movie that is based pretty much underground through the whole film, but this doesn't make it any less effective or anything like that, when in fact it makes it have more of a cutting edge. The storyline was perfect and when I say perfect I mean to every detail. I enjoyed Ryan Reynolds in this movie, he was simply brilliant and all the females will love this because of him. Another thing I enjoyed about this movie was Ryan Reynolds sense of humour and I know its only acting but it was quite funny in places but also really sad in some. To be honest when I first heard about this movie, I was thinking oh dear me, a movie based in a coffin through the whole of it, but in actual fact it was great. This is the type of movie that takes away the pre judgement of it to make it more enjoyable. I for one loved this film and I am pretty sure you guys will too.
Characters/Performances

Well this was quite strange but in truth the cast was really short and Ryan Reynold is possibly the only one worth mentioning throughout the whole of it. You don't really see anyone else and the job this guy does is amazing. I have always liked Ryan Reynolds from movies such as Just Friends, Van Wilder, The Amityville Horror, The Proposal and Definitely, Maybe . In this he is brilliant, witty and very clever. Almost looks like he is actually buried alive. Most the other characters performances were okay but they wasn't really effective like Ryan Reynolds as they were voices through the phone.
The Director

Rodrigo Cortés Giráldez directed the movie Buried and to be honest this is by far his biggest and best movie he has directed. Hes also directed The Contestant but other than that its just small things and no real movies. Thats all I can say for this director as there isn't much to know but this is by far his best piece of work to date.
Other Bits

The special effects were pretty good when used in this movie, although as you can imagine there wasn't a lot of them but when there was some they was really well done and nicely thought of. One of my favourites would be Ryan trapped underground, looks real to me and another one would be when sand from the desert is filling up his coffin. Also another is when a snake is trapped in there with him. The soundtrack wasn't uninspiring and didn't do much for the movie. There was too much tension through the whole of the film for the soundtrack to have an effect. Also I don't believe I know of any movies like this so I cant compare it to anything I have seen. I enjoyed this movie and it did surprise me so I recommend you go see this. I would give this movie an 8/10 well worth a watch sometime!

Buried has a runtime of roughly 95 minutes and the movie is a 15 certificate!

Review also on DooYoo under username: simon020187

• arnoldhenryrufus published 15/03/2011
    My daughter has leant me this to watch, but not got around to it yet - Lyn x
  • Gooseydyoo published 13/03/2011
    Think this would give me nightmares.
  • Hishyeness published 13/01/2011
    Oooh. This gives me the heebeejeebees just reading about it. Very well written up 8^)

Product Information : Buried(DVD)

A man is caught in a desperate race against time in this claustrophobic thriller from director Rodrigo Cortes. Paul Conroy (Ryan Reynolds) is an American truck driver who has been contracted to work in Iraq, and while delivering a load of kitchen equipment as part of a humanitarian aid program, he's captured by insurgent guerrillas who intend to hold him hostage. Paul is struck unconscious, put into a coffin-like box, and buried, and when he comes to, all he has to help him get out is a lighter, a cell phone, a pen, and a jacknife. Trapped underground with a limited supply of air, Paul frantically calls his family, his employer, and American military and political representatives, trying to remain calm as his chances of survival slip farther away with each passing minute.

Listed on Ciao since: 28/01/2011