Theme Park

Review of "Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, Disneyland Paris"

published 16/02/2017 | cornishchic
Member since : 27/07/2011
Pro Fun for everyone, interactive
Cons Nothing
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Fun for all the family!"

Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, Disneyland Paris

Last May, I surprised my, then, six year old daughter with a trip to Disneyland Paris with my mum tagging along too. Although she didn't know we were going until the week before, we spent the final week before going researching what rides we wanted to go on and in what order to best maximise our time in the parks. One ride that looked good was this Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast ride.

Information

This ride is suitable for children and adults alike and you can be any height to go on this ride. It can be found at the start of discovery land which is just to the right as you reach the castle. The ride is easy to see as there is a huge Buzz Lightyear sign above the entrance and a Toy Story inspired shop right next door. You can use the Disneyland fast pass service on the ride to skip a little of the queue. The little booth to the right of the entrance houses the fast pass booths where you will find three or four machines where you scan your Disneyland ticket and it pops out a ticket with a time to revisit to miss some of the queue and speed up the queuing time.

There is also a Disneyland Paris app which you can download before you go, this shows wait times for the various rides around both parks in real time so you can have a quick check of the app to see what the queuing time is like before visiting the ride.

Getting on the ride

We went on this ride a few times whilst we was at Disneyland and whilst we opted for the fast pass tickets the majority of the time, the last time we didn't bother as the screen said there was only a 35 minute wait, which wasn't too bad compared to other times when we got the fast passes. The start of the queue begins with various walk ways with metal poles marking the way. Once you get to the end of this bit you reach the main indoor queue part, it is also the point in which the fast pass users reach the main queue too so although we used the fast pass on some occasions, it doesn't actually get you much further into the queue.

The inside part is very decorative, with walls decorated in Toy Story type colours and cartoons. As you twist your way through the different corridors there is lots to see and it really does take the boredom away from the wait, the corridors are quite constricting though so if you aren't a fan of small spaces I'm sure it will not be very enjoyable. As you carry on going there is a big Buzz Lightyear talking and moving telling you all about the adventure you are about to embark on. He talks in lots of different languages so suitable for all visitors. There is also a large Etch-a-Sketch on the wall detailing what Buzz is talking about.

Once you get to the front of the queue you need to be prepared to get on to your cart as it is constantly moving, it doesn't stop to let people off or on. There is a bit of a conveyor belt which you walk along then step into your cart, my daughter didn't have a problem at all in getting into it. Once we were both in the front of the cart comes in closer to you to keep you in place. There isn't anything in the way of a safety belt or anything but you are confined so it isn't a safety problem. Each cart only sits two people so my daughter opted to sit with me on the ride. My mum followed in the cart behind us alone!

The fun of the ride

The cart is in actual fact an XP-40 space cruiser. Once you are in place and on your way you will find two space cannons and a joystick. This is very much an interactive ride and you have a scoreboard in front of you to keep a tally of your score. Your mission is to shoot all of the 'Z' targets with your space cannon. The cannons are attached to the ride with a wire so there isn't any worry about dropping it out of the ride or anything. As soon as we were off my daughter took to it straight away. There are 'Z' targets all around the ride so you don't really get a chance to stop and take in what is actually happening. The points system brings out the competitiveness in everyone! The cannons fire invisible lasers at the targets and as the targets move around and jolt from here to there it is quite challenging.

The ride is definitely a dark one as the ride goes through black rooms but as all the targets and props are lit up, it doesn't feel dark and black as you are going through the different rooms. M daughter doesn't like the dark but didn't say anything about this ride, I think the interactive, engaging shooting theme takes away from the feeling inside.

The joystick located in the middle of the console is quite a nifty idea. By moving it around it moves your space cruiser round 360 degrees. My daughter got highly annoyed when I moved the cruiser around in the middle of her aiming at some targets! It was utterly hilarious to turn to look at the cruiser directly behind us and see my mum sat in the middle of her cruiser concentrating on the targets more than I've seen her concentrate on anything else!

At the end of the ride you enter into a big room with a huge emperor Zurg for the final boss battle. There are numerous targets to shoot to get rid of Zurg once and for all. I think it is in this room where the ride takes a photo of you. I didn't see the camera but as you exit the ride there is a little booth where you can see your photo if you should want to purchase it. It's worth noting that exiting the XP-40 space cruiser is the same as when you board the ride and it is constantly moving and the first time we did exit it was a bit of a wobble but you soon get used to it. After viewing the photos taken on the ride you exit through the gift shop featured next door to the ride.

I wouldn't say we are a particularly competitive family but my mum still hasn't shut up about getting the highest score even now 9 months on! My daughter was a little annoyed she lost but it was great fun for all of us.

Overall

If you are visiting Disneyland I would definitely recommend you put this on the list of rides you need to visit. We absolutely loved it and went on it quite a few times in the two days we had at the parks. I think that the shooting aspect to get a high score gives everyone enjoyment rather than the rides you simply sit on and look at different things, it really brings you into the whole defeating Zurg theme. The queuing corridors keep you amused while you wait, it is on a whole different level to some other rides. Both my daughter and my mum thoroughly enjoyed themselves and it is right up there in my favourite rides from our trip. Highly recommended!

• micksy1983 published 23/04/2017
    VH
  • Kat1987Reviews published 09/04/2017
    This sounds like so much fun!
  • AdoraBG published 28/03/2017
    Congratz for the Diamond!