Buzz! The BIG Quiz (PS2)

Genre: Puzzle, Party/Board Game, Kids/Family - Quiz/Trivia - Publisher: Sony - Developer(s): SCEE - Age Rating: 3+

Review of "Buzz! The BIG Quiz (PS2)"

published 26/08/2009 | xhoneybeex
Member since : 25/08/2009
It's lovely to be back - will of course return all rates, however it may take me a little while. Please bear with me, and thank you all for being as sweet as ever!
Pro See review below! Everything, ultimate party game, fun for all the family, price...
Cons Nothing :)
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"Buzz - The Ultimate Family Game!"

Buzz! The BIG Quiz (PS2)

Do you sit watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire screaming the answers at your TV and wish you could appear on a TV game show yourself? Well, now you can - sort of!

In A Nutshell

Basically Buzz! The Big Quiz is exactly as it implies. With four Buzz controllers (with five buttons - a red buzzer and four coloured buttons) and no need to use your PS2 controller, it is a great family game, although there is a solo option. With nine levels, all a little different to each other, try to beat your family and friends in a bid to win ultimate prizes - such as the moon, Paris, robot servants...it's just a shame they never seem to leave the TV screen....

The Good

Personally, I think this is the even better than the original Buzz! game, presented by a cheeky, over-confident, cartoon character with a rather large mouth, and is a general knowledge quiz which incorporates video clips, pictures and music into each round. Before playing the game, you can choose your own character (from Mr. Elvis Presley to Kylie!), give it a name and a costume, then battle your way to the top of the leaderboard! You can choose the length of the game, and build your own game, where you cut out any of the rounds you don't enjoy! All of this is simply done by pressing the right coloured button! Even starting the game is fun, as you feel like you are really in a studio preparing to go on TV!

The Bad

I honestly cannot think of anything!

My Experience

We resurrected Buzz! The Big Quiz after our old PS2 mysteriously broke a couple of years back! We only got round to buying a new one a few months ago, and when we blew the dust off Buzz! and started to play, we realised how much we'd missed it! At my house our ages range from 7-40, sometimes older when we have friends over, and I can honestly say it is fun for all of the family! We have had this game a good few years now and we never get tired of it! It brings out our competitive streaks, and we can play it for hours! We sit around on an evening buzzing in, blasting other players and stealing other player's points! I am not fond of the Hitman level, though - I always seem to shoot myself out of the game! Also, I am quite competitive - as are quite a few members of my family... so sometimes there are minor tiffs when, for example, on 'Point Stealer' a certain someone is always pinching MY points... :D

Buzz! The Big Quiz - Tutorial!

Getting Started
Well, firstly, you can put the PS2 controller away, as you just don't need it! Plug the buzzers into the PS2 and insert the disc (obviously!) Then, each member that is playing - you can have up to 8, but then you of course need 8 Buzzers, we find it quite fun to go in teams, too, if there's a lot of us, although that can cause problems over who holds the Buzzer! A short 'film' introducing Buzz! starts to play, although it can get quite boring after a while, so you can skip it by pressing the buzzer. Then a menu should come up with 'Rose' (lady with slightly revealing dress and annoying voice!) asking what you want to do. There are four options, and you decide which one to choose by pressing the corresponding coloured button on your controller! The options are 'Play Buzz', 'Party Games', 'Extras' and 'Options'.

Play Buzz
Right, lets say you pressed 'Play Buzz'. Another four options (Standard Game, Custom Game, Single Player Game and Back) will appear. It's quite straightforward really, but Standard Game includes all the levels, whereas Custom Game lets you take out some levels that you might not be too fond of, Single Player is, quite obviously, if you are playing by yourself, and Back takes you...back to the main menu! When you have selected Standard, you choose your position (aka you press whichever coloured button you want) and then you begin to choose your character...

Personalize!
Choose from a range of fun characters by pressing the blue and yellow buttons. I have taken a liking to Marilyn Monroe, but you could have anyone from Albert Einstein, Elvis Presley, Cleopatra and many, many more! When you have chosen the character you want, confirm with your buzzer. However, if you change your mind, press the green button to undo. After that you will be told to choose out of three outfits for your character, following the same procedure. Then choose your buzzer sound and enter your name (in basically the same way you have done everything else, but Rose will tell you if you are not so sure!)

Playing The Game
There are eight levels of Buzz:
Point Builder, Snap, Fastest Finger, Pass The Bomb, Ask A Friend, Hitman, Point Stealer and Look Before You Leap. The questions include images and video and audio clips. Whilst playing the game expect Buzz to be the true annoying TV host, dropping in 'hilarious' one-liners and put-downs. At the end of each level it will show you your position, but never fear - you can be 8th one minute, first the next! Just think: TV gameshow alongside family and friends, in the comfort of your own home. Have some snacks laid out on the table, and you have the ultimate party! What's more, at the end of it all, the lucky winner will win a fantastic prize - cash (we're talking serious mega-bucks here!), the moon, Paris or your own personal robot servants!!! (It's just a shame it's all virtual...)

Custom Game
Exactly the same, but at the beginning you can cut out any rounds you don't enjoy!

Single Game
Play by yourself. I can't really say much else!

Party Games
Choose from Hitman, Quickfire Quiz and Eliminator.

Extras
Quizmaster and Teamplay! It says it all in the names really!

Options
Here you can check out the high scores and save/load options, and turn widescreen on!

Price-wise

Prices of PS2 games have dropped dramatically, which is great news for people like me! I have seen Buzz! The Big Quiz without the controllers from £5.55 (Amazon) and with the controllers from £27.00. Absolute bargain!

All in all...

This is the ultimate party game that never gets old! Without a doubt, it is well worth purchasing! You just can't go wrong with a good old game of Buzz!

Website

If You Like This, Try...

All the other Buzz! party games (Hollywood, Music, Sports, Pop, Mega...) and the Singstar series.
Also posted on Dooyoo!

• Staffenburg published 03/04/2010
    Buzz is my favourite game EVER, mainly because i never lose, at any of them :)) Super review x
  • hillhead published 16/10/2009
    Sounds great fun : )
  • Olly_Plimsoll published 12/09/2009
    Oh yes, great stuff! I often catch myself out with the formatting too, it's not simple on this site! Why they can't use HTML-style tags is beyond me...