By the Time I Get To Phoenix/Tonight Carmen - Marty Robbins

1 CD(s) - Country - Label: Morello Records - Distributor: Essential Music/Proper - Released: 15/07/2013 - 5013929891937

Review of "By the Time I Get To Phoenix/Tonight Carmen - Marty Robbins"

published 11/05/2016 | norfolksquare
Member since : 11/05/2016
I am not british (that goes without saying I guess...), I do my best to provide useful information but please understand sometimes my english could be not the best in the world :-)
Satisfactory
Pro None
Cons Not original, boring
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Not the country I love"

By the Time I Get To Phoenix/Tonight Carmen - Marty Robbins

WHAT I MEAN WITH "COUNTRY"

Sometimes words are tricky. We all barely resist the temptation to reduce something very articulated, complex, to something simple and apparently easy to understand, like a single word. This is what happens with a whole range of concepts: race is one of those, fon instance, and so is fashion. And music is not out of this phenomenon. We say rock, folk, R&B etcetera but we often put into a single pot things which are very different. At the same time we are driven, in doing this, by our perception (a song could sound more "rock" to me than to a friend of mine) and by the way that song or artist is commonly labeled by the commercial industry.

When I say country I mean something really specific and I am often disappointed when I listen for the first time to an artist who is reckoned to be country and find myself listening to a music which is no country at all for me. "Country" in my opinion is "Take me home country roads" by John Denver to make it clear! "Country" in my mind is the Monument Valley or Utah prairies.

So, I hope you will understand why listening to Marty Robbins has proved to be a real disappointment for me.

MARTY ROBBINS

I am not a music expert, and even if I say that this american artist is defintely not country, this is the way he has always been considered by who is certainly more skilled than me in the music landscape.

Looking into his bio I found out he also won several prizes in the "country" sections, so I guess it can be said I do not understand much of music... but, what can I say? When I listen to him I have the feeling I am listening to some Sinatra's emule than to a country singer. His voice is too smooth, perfect and melodic. He would be perfect on a piano bar. And music is really really flat, more similar to the music you would stumble into in a valzer ballroom.

BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX

This is an eleven songs album, published in 1968.

All the eleven songs are really really similar to each other. There is no surprise at all, the way it begins the same way it ends. Nice melody, nice voice, slow rhythm and a polish orchestra backing him. It is also diffcult to recognize when some of the songs end, as they slowly fade into the following one, with no substantial difference in both voice and style.

Love is a dominant theme in each single song and this is another point I do not appreciate as in country music I expect to find other kind of feelings, which are usually related to the territory, the typical activities of certain lands, the sense of loneliness and distance. Here, instead, we only have very common love songs.

I would usually express my preferences for a song or two when I review a CD, but in this case I feel more at ease by emphasizing which song annoyed me the most. Am i that easy to forget disturbs me: it was hard for me not to move on to the following track. I would define it a long and neverending whinging.

Luckily, the track which follows is Love is blue which is the only one in this album I can stand, probably because it is a very well known song which have been sung by many artists throughout the years, making it more familiar to me.

I would not suggest to buy this CD, even though I am sure this mostly depends on my personal taste and expectancies rather than on an objective review of Marty Robbin's skills.

• justarube published 26/07/2016
    VH
  • ccmccartney published 02/07/2016
    Very well written!
  • Essexgirl2006 published 10/06/2016
    vh

offers "By the Time I Get To Phoenix/Tonight Carmen - Marty Robbins"