CEVA Animal Health Cystease S

CEVA Animal Health Cystease S

Review of "CEVA Animal Health Cystease S"

published 06/10/2009 | laramax
Member since : 11/10/2006
Back again after a lengthy absence - with a new puppy in the house I can only visit here every now and then!
Pro It appears to work very well
Cons You shouldn't medicate your pet without having them checked out first by a vet
Does it smell good?
How easily is it absorbed?

"An excellent remedy that works"

When you have pets in the house their health is important and as they get older it is not uncommon for the odd problem to arise. I noticed that one of my cats seemed to be spraying quite a bit in the garden and spending quite a bit of time licking and cleaning his nether regions which alerted me to the fact that he might be uncomfortable passing urine.

Time for a quick trip to the vets I thought especially as at that time I was planning to pick up a new puppy and I didn't want to add to the stress in the household. The vet checked my cat, Max, over and said he couldn't find anything untoward however it was possible he was feeling discomfort on passing urine. He suggested that I put him on a course of Cystease to see if that would help as it is a natural product which might resolve the problem. The vet said if it worked there was no reason why I couldn't make it a regular part of Max's diet.

Each capsule contains 125 mg of Glucosamine which to be honest was a remedy I had more commonly associated with joint problems however it is apparently the major component of the protective lining on the inside of the cat's bladder. This lining is damaged in cats suffering from FLUTD (Feline lower urinary tract disease) allowing urine to inflame the bladder causing cystitis. Administering Cystease helps protect the bladder and reduces the painful inflammation. So I suppose it is the equivalent of cranberry juice for humans?

The dosage my vet suggested was 1 tablet daily initially reducing to one every other day for maintenance. The vet said I could simply sprinkle it on to his food as it is said to be tasteless. To play safe for the first couple of weeks I split open the capsule and mixed it with water in a syringe which I squirted into his mouth (the cat and not the vet!). After that I started sprinking it on to his food and the difference has been noticeable. He has stopped the constant licking and only sprays a few times a day when he needs to relieve himself.

This is a product which you can buy from your vet and my vet is happy to let me have it without seeing the cat each time. I now buy it online from Vet UK where it costs £14.98 for 100 tablets or £39.51 for 300 which I think is a small price to pay for keeping my cats comfortable.

Would I recommend it?

Yes I would as it seems to be an excellent way to reduce the discomfort cats can experience in passing urine as they get older. However I would not recommend using it unless you have had you cat checked out by the vet first to rule out any other problems which might be causing discomfort.

• TheHairyGodmother published 07/10/2009