CGP Revision Guides

Review of "CGP Revision Guides"

published 12/06/2016 | maxmadness1
Member since : 11/06/2016
Sorry for my recent inactivity should get back into the swing of things soon :)
Pro Really helps with revision
Cons Buying more than one can get very expensive very quickly
Type of Book
Quality of Text
Interesting/Absorbing?
Logical Layout?

"Because at some point we all have to revise"

General

With most of these books being available for sale on many websites and in bookstores, CGP books can sometimes be handy for you/your children if they are struggling with revision.

Most CGP books are around the £5.00 mark however there are more complete books that cover topics in more detail for sale at over £10. Some of the CPG revision guides are worth even more than this as they can cover a whole subject or prepare someone for examinations at higher levels than GCSE or A-level.

The look of the book

The overall look of CPG books is very simple. There is usually a colour which slowly fades into a different colour used as the background. The title is very well visible and the oh so familiar logo of the student studying is present in the top right hand corner of the majority of the books they sell. Some people may say that the cover is just too plain, and that they don't know what to expect on the inside. The back cover is also very bland, with just a barcode and some details at the bottom. But in terms of revision guide it really isn't the look that a person should be concerned with when buying it.
Inside layout and structure

The inside of the book is very neatly thought out, with every blank space filled it completely, some people may say that there is just too much going on on one page of the book but really revision needs to be thorough so in my opinion i believe they have done a good job here. Each page is laden with pictures, underlined key words, cartoons, colourful texts and easy to view text boxes. Very easy to read I find and having done much revision from these books I can tell you that they really did work for me. I found it so much easier to look at rather than any of the notes I had taken myself as the format is just so clear and visible. Now of course I have not used every possible book from CPG so I couldn't tell you that every book is the same. I do know for a fact that many of the CPG books for GCSE are exactly like how i have described.
Price

Buying a one off book for a particular subject that you/ your child struggles with isn't going to send you into financial ruin. Most of the books are available for under £10 with only a few exceptions. The problem comes when a subject either has more than one revision book, or if you are buying for multiple subjects. The type of book is also in issue, for each subject there is usually an option of having just the theory book which contains solely the information, however there are also workbooks which contain questions only and no information; Case study books are also available for subject like geography and practical for science. All in all you could end up buying nearly 10 books which could set you back around £50! Do not fear however: books like these, especially the theory books can be easily sold on and if you sell them in bundles you could end up getting at least half of your money back. Although revision workbooks cannot be resold as they have probably been scribbled all over. Buying CPG books second hand can also save you a fortune if you are buying more than one, I have seen books available on ebay for as little as for £0.99.
Availability

I personally buy my CPG books off of amazon due to their speedy delivery but they are also available on the CPG website and other online stores. I believe i have even seen some in libraries so you could look out for those and try to rent it for free.
Issues

The only issues I have encountered with these books is that in many cases one book may only contain a few pages of information that are relevant to the topics you are studying. In my case I took history for GCSE and I had a CPG revision guide book. Only one chapter of the book was relevant to me, so only 20 pages of a 130 paged book costing £5.00 was relevant to me. This can be infuriating but if you check the book's details properly unlike I did, you should be able to know exactly what is in the book that you need.
Other

CPG also does audio tapes for learning and quizzes depending on how you prefer to revise so if you find that reading a revision guide is proving unsuccessful then try out one of those. Some books even come complete with a CD for it. Not everyone will find it easy to revise from these revision guides but I can tell you that it worked for me.

• forpickeup published 22/09/2016
    well done.
  • Anti_W published 17/08/2016
    I found CGP books really handy when revising for exams as a teenager; glad to see later versions still hold up.
  • justarube published 07/08/2016