CII Financial Planning Certificate Level 1

CII Financial Planning Certificate Level 1

Review of "CII Financial Planning Certificate Level 1"

published 28/06/2001 | GoldenBoy4001
Member since : 08/06/2001
Satisfactory
Pro It has the information in it - somewhere
Cons It's too bulky, it's too purple, it's too boring, it's too illegible.... need I go on

"CII - See Ya'"

For some stupid reason I decided that I’d quite fancy working in the Insurance and Financial industry – it would lead to many hours of muchous funous to be had (sorry, I must have hit my head harder than I thought), but in all honesty I actually enjoy my job.

I also relished the opportunity to gain more qualifications that would have a little more impact in the Business world then my 200m Swimming Certificate (please read “20 Ways To Confuse Your Room Mate” for full explanation).

In the role that I currently do I am required to be qualified to at least FPC Level 2, to have passed the SIB’s Exam on OEICs and to be fully competant in all other Product Exams – I am pleased to say that despite this my social life has not suffered and I’m plodding along nicely with these qualifications – NO THANKS TO THE CII’s FPC1 COURSE GUIDE!!!!!!!

If you're reading this then I’ll assume that you know a bit about the industry and may have even seen this guide that I’m writing about so I won’t bore you with the details and will just keep to the important bits.

Because of the commitments we have to our current role, the course is run as “Self-Study”. It suggests it would take at least 80 hours of study to gain the qualification – this is based on the fact that the candidate is new to the industry and doesn’t have a clue! I fitted quite nicely into this little niche!

First of all, the guide is presented in a HUGE purple folder that is incredibly difficult to manage and because of the fact the CII can’t quite get it’s act together before publishing deadlines, it invariably comes accompanied with a free ammendment section!!!

I assure you that even the more technically adept amongst you who are quite used to reading stereo instructions would have difficulty following this guide.

To be fair, it does give you example questions to ensure your understanding and make you feel fairly good about yourself but the rest of it is all pants!!!!!!

Thanks to hours of dedication on my part (and a hell of a lot of support from some good friends – you know who you are “Polishedpoo” and “Aussiebird”) I actually passed this heinous exam.

However, CII take heed, I will not be using your study guides anymore and will instead focus my academic resources on BPP Study Guides, which come in handy, easy to read books and are witten with real people in mind.

CII – See Ya’

• clairestevens published 06/04/2006
    Oh yikes - I've just signed up for this exam...
  • jimneecricket published 20/02/2005
    I never thought that the CII qualifications were so bad, I managed fine using their folders to pass papers 1 2 and 3 first time, but I can see your point and I'll def look at the bpp books for the afpc! Thanks
  • THEMIGHTYDOMSTER published 28/06/2001
    I wholeheartedly agree with GoldenBoy4001 on this matter, the CII books are indredibly difficult reading, mundane is an understatement, but I have to say that this is due to the depth of technical detail involved. The BPP books are easier to read, carry and navigate. But it could be argued, that they sometimes dont go into enough detail and this is where the CII have it nailed down, my advice would be to try and obtain publications from as many sources as possible on this qualification syllabus as it is better to have too much than too little. I passed FP3 last year and by the time I got to that exam, FP1 was a dim and distant memory, trust me, its like when you leave school and wish you were back there!!! Good luck with FP2 dude, it had me flummoxed on more than one occasion, but it is worth the effort in the long run! Stick to BPP, but use CII as a back up in case the green book doesnt offer full clarity. TMD

Product Information : CII Financial Planning Certificate Level 1

Listed on Ciao since: 28/06/2001

CII Financial Planning Certificate Level 1 - Review - CII - See Ya'
Home > Education & Careers > Higher/Further Education > Alternative Qualifications > CII Financial Planning Certificate Level 1 > Reviews

GoldenBoy... 2

GoldenBoy4001

Member since:08.06.2001

CII - See Ya'

28.06.2001 (03.07.2001)

Advantages:
It has the information in it  -  somewhere

Disadvantages:
It's too bulky, it's too purple, it's too boring, it's too illegible .  .  .  .  need I go on

Recommendable No:

6 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. clairestevens
  2. GMoneyLeeds
  3. criple
  1. jimneecricket
  2. Angelus

For some stupid reason I decided that Id quite fancy working in the Insurance and Financial industry it would lead to many hours of muchous funous to be had (sorry, I must have hit my head harder than I thought), but in all honesty I actually enjoy my job.

I also relished the opportunity to gain more qualifications that would have a little more impact in the Business world then my 200m Swimming Certificate (please read 20 Ways To Confuse Your Room Mate for full explanation).

In the role that I currently do I am required to be qualified to at least FPC Level 2, to have passed the SIBs Exam on OEICs and to be fully competant in all other Product Exams I am pleased to say that despite this my social life has not suffered and Im plodding along nicely with these qualifications NO THANKS TO THE CIIs FPC1 COURSE GUIDE!!!!!!!

If you're reading this then Ill assume that you know a bit about the industry and may have even seen this guide that Im writing about so I wont bore you with the details and will just keep to the important bits.

Because of the commitments we have to our current role, the course is run as Self-Study. It suggests it would take at least 80 hours of study to gain the qualification this is based on the fact that the candidate is new to the industry and doesnt have a clue! I fitted quite nicely into this little niche!

First of all, the guide is presented in a HUGE purple folder that is incredibly difficult to manage and because of the fact the CII cant quite get its act together before publishing deadlines, it invariably comes accompanied with a free ammendment section!!!

Thanks to hours of dedication on my part (and a hell of a lot of support from some good friends you know who you are Polishedpoo and Aussiebird) I actually passed this heinous exam.

CII See Ya

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

clairestevens 06.04.2006 11:27

Oh yikes - I've just signed up for this exam...

jimneecricket 20.02.2005 11:58