Review of "Cadbury Creme Eggs"

published 01/04/2002 | sandrabarber
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Delicious
Cons Not big enough
Smell
Product Quality

"I have been known to eat them WHOLE"

Cadbury’s Crème Eggs have been around for as long as I can remember – for part of the year, at least. They are one of my very, very favourite chocolate indulgences, and I am staring at one as I write, anticipating its loveliness and dying to get this op written so that I can sit back and enjoy it for the (very) short time it will last.

Each egg comes in a colourful metallic wrapping and is a white and yellow sticky, sugary, gooey fondant covered in an egg-shaped (what else?) thick Cadbury’s chocolate shell. It is about the size of a medium sized real egg but much, much nicer. In fact the advantages of the Cadbury’s Crème Egg over the real hen’s egg are numerous. For example:

Real eggs need cooking; Cadbury’s Crème Eggs do not

Real eggs often break before you get them home; Cadbury’s Crème Eggs do not

Real eggs get slime all over your hands when you crack them open which you then have to wash off; Cadbury’s Crème Eggs get sticky fondant and melted chocolate over your hands which you can then lick off slowly and luxuriously with no need for soap and water

Real eggs are often covered in straw and hen’s passage detritus; Cadbury’s Crème Eggs are not

Everyone has their own way of eating Cadbury’s Crème Eggs. I generally bite off the top half and eat it, and then pop the bottom half into my mouth and eat that too.

I have been known to eat them whole, but that was in the old days when they tasted better.

Tasted better?!?

Yes. Cadbury’s changed the recipe several years back, and though Crème Eggs are still lovely, they are unbelievably not AS lovely as they used to be. I can’t quite tell you what it was that made them lovelier, but they were somehow more gooey and the fondant had more taste.

There also used to be a Cadbury’s Crème Egg full of CHOCOLATE FONDANT too, in a metallic tartan wrapper, but I haven’t seen one of those for years. I always considered them to be the grown-ups version of the Crème Egg, and would love one now that I’m a grown-up myself, but alas they seem to have gone out of production.

Nutrition wise, each egg is 39 g and contains 163 cals and 5.7 grammes of fat. But who cares? Sometimes the calorie/enjoyment trade-off is worth it, and this is such a case.

p.s. McDonalds are currently doing a Cadbury’s Crème Egg McFlurry – a large tub of white ice cream with yellow fondant sauce and pieces of Cadbury’s chocolate. I would highly recommend it.

• drewish published 30/04/2005
    Hilariously funny review - liked the comment about hen's detritus. Completely encapsulates the wonderful Creme Egg experience!
  • SRowlands published 07/02/2004
    Ah - Creme Eggs... a subject close to my heart (well, probably clogging it up buy now !). They sell these in our canteen at work, and I have been known to eat SIX in a 15 minute break ! Really bad for me, I know, but I just can't say no ! Great Op !!!
  • yukkibear published 13/04/2002
    I love creme eggs but when I finally got around to trying the mcflurry I was highly disapponted. The "yellow" fondant that was really orange didn't take like the creme egg at all. Take care, Ang.