Review of "Cadbury Creme Eggs"

published 07/04/2004 | Lancashire_Angel
Member since : 10/08/2003
Pro fun to eat, Cadbury's quality chocolate, reasonably priced
Cons might be too sweet for you, quality varies from egg to egg
Smell
Product Quality

"Easter Eggs-travaganza 2004 - The Creme Egg!"

Since I wrote a seasonal story at Christmas I decided to keep up the tradition and write a seasonal review for Easter! Hm, well I’m sure that to many of those who know me well this sounds suspiciously like a pathetic excuse for eating more chocolate and, well, they’d be right! Every Easter I somehow manage to do seemingly-impossible disappearing feats with my chocolate eggs and yet STILL find room for that delectable delicacy…the Cadbury’s Creme Egg.

~~~~~ EGGS-SEMPLARY EGGS ~~~~~

Other eggs have come and gone over the years…anyone remember the minty eggs? Smarties eggs, Harry Potter dragon eggs, and this year, Milkybar eggs and Nestle Double Cream eggs grace the shelves as well. But none of them are as original, as delicious, as enduringly appealing as the humble Creme Egg. This is partly to do with them being the first in a long line I guess, and partly to do with the fact that many of the other eggs are basically rip-offs of some chocolate bar or other, Smarties, Galaxy, Mars and Milkybar eggs springing immediately to mind. Creme eggs are completely unique – they were not a spin-off from some other Cadbury’s chocolate bar but an idea created purely for Easter. In fact, www.cadburyexport.co.uk are happy to claim that it is the “number one selling Easter egg in the world.”

~~~~~ EGG-TICING ON THE OUTSIDE ~~~~~

The shiny red and blue packaging easily catches the eye in the shop. As it is pressed firmly around the egg parts of it are squashed but the familiar Cadbury’s logo is always printed somewhere visible, in shiny blue outlined with silver on a yellow background which makes it stand out. This I assume is to entice anyone who has never seen a creme egg (although I don’t think this would actually apply to many people) but who might be attracted by Cadburys’ reputation for quality chocolate. There are also prominent pictures of a fluffy yellow chick, which puts me in mind of Easter and seems to suggest it would appeal to children. Perfect for luring holidaying kids to pester their unsuspecting parents for an egg. And, sadly, it also seems to work on me.

~~~~~ EGGS-PLORING THE INSIDE ~~~~~

Upon unwrapping the shimmering wrapping, a small but perfectly-formed chocolate egg is revealed. The centre seam shows that it seems to have been moulded in two halves but is carefully and neatly fitted together, with a pattern of concentric oval ridges on each side, finished with what looks like a star of Bethlehem impressed in the centre. This is attractive without going over the top. Biting off the top exposes the creamy fondant centre. This all tastes the same, but is predominantly white with an eggy yellow centre, representing the yolk. In this particular egg the chocolate shell is fairly thin but this varies from egg to egg, and it’s an eggs-specially nice surprise when you find a thick rim of chocolate to bite into inside. (Is it coming across how many creme eggs I tend to eat over the Easter period? Oh dear. ) Seriously, though – this is a bit of a down-side in that the amount of chocolate varies in each egg.

~~~~~ EGGS-HILARATING FLAVOUR ~~~~~

The chocolate is eggs-actly what you would expect of Cadbury’s – smooth and velvety, with the full creamy chocolate flavour that suggests generous amounts of cocoa solids and the addition of a careful balance of creamy milk. I always find Cadbury’s chocolate to be sweeter than other chocolates, such as Mars, which is slightly sharper to the taste, or Nestle, which always seems a little ‘duller’ and less creamy in taste. It may be my imagination but I find the chocolate shell on a creme egg tastes a tad sweeter than normal Cadbury’s – but this may just be the remnants of sugary filling that always cling to the chocolate whilst nibbling it. For the lover of Cadbury chocolate, this won’t be a disappointment – who wants to argue with a recipe dating back to the 1830s?

~~~~~ EGGS-TREMELY SWEET ~~~~~

The filling itself is eggs-tremely sweet and sticky, which makes it great fun to eat but can also be very messy, so not something that can be eaten whilst wearing something you intend to keep on all day! Incidentally, I also don’t recommend eating it whilst typing as my keyboard is getting very sticky and I’m going to have to clean it later (yuck). The fondant basically tastes pleasantly enough of sugar and its texture is viscous but also slightly grainy on the tongue, similarly to when sucking rich fudge, you can almost feel the sugar crystals eggs-ploding on your taste buds. However, without the chocolate shell this would not be anywhere near as eggs-ceptable. When a bite is taken of the two together, the fondant sweetens the chocolate and the creaminess and strong cocoa taste of the chocolate balances the sweetness of the centre nicely. This is the true taste sensation that is the creme egg, and the reason why every Easter I come back for more. However, a word of caution – due to the intense sweetness, I wouldn’t advise eating two in a row personally, and I’m a self-confessed sweet tooth and chocaholic. Heck, some people might not even like them at all; if you dislike very sugary things, I hate to say it, but you might find these too sickly.

~~~~~ EGGS-TRA! EGGS-TRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! ~~~~~

Not only do they taste very pleasant indeed (if you decide to brave the sweetness that is) creme eggs are also a bit of a fun food to eat, which is eggs-specially nice for the holidays, and particularly for children. The famous “How do you eat yours?” campaign is testimony to that – there is a weird but wonderful variety of possible ways to eat a creme egg. As for me, I tend to go through phases. For a long time I favoured the “suck it and see” method – biting a hole in the side (the side is the best place as the top is usually the thickest point) and sucking out the fondant before demolishing the chocolate. I progressed from this on to the possibly even more disgusting “sticky finger” method of biting off the top with a satisfying crunch, then scooping out the centre with my index finger. These days I’m older, and my taste-buds are more refined, and I prefer to disguise the sugar-dominated soft bit with the chocolate so I have developed the “scoff it in three bites” approach, which needs no further explanation. Ha ha. In any case, this fun element is a real plus-point of the creme egg, eggs-pecially for the young at heart.

~~~~~ AN IN-EGGS-PENSIVE TREAT ~~~~~

Nutritional information is surprisingly elusive and it’s almost impossible to read what it says on the crumpled, shimmering wrapper. However, I’m pretty confident that it would be no good if you were on a diet! It would also be worth investigating further for any allergy sufferers, perhaps by looking on a multipack box where the information is presumably clearer. As for price and availability, well you can pick up a creme egg in my local area for between a very reasonable 30p and 40p, and basically, you name the shop that sells food, I’ve seen creme eggs in there; newsagents, convenience stores, garages, supermarkets…you get the idea. The only problem is that they are a limited edition – they are sold between New Year and Easter each year, after which they sadly disappear. But don’t worry…they’ll be back! The idea of creme eggs dates back to the 1920s and creme eggs in their current form have been on our shelves since 1971, so they’re no flash in the pan and will hopefully be around for a long time to come.

*** More information can be found on www.cadbury.co.uk. ***

~~~~~ EGGS-PERIENCE IT FOR YOURSELF! ~~~~~

Go on, it’s Easter. Indulge your inner child.
And when you’ve eaten your creme egg, you can come back and answer the only question that remains to be asked. Which is, of course…

“HOW DO YOU EAT YOURS?”

P.S. It’s a long time since I wrote something about a product that doesn’t fire me up on all cylinders with inspiration and it’s ended up being quite a different style for me. I would be interested to know what you think in the comments section below – along with any answers to the closing question of course! Thank you.

• LaceyR26 published 26/05/2009
    After poached, these are my favourite types of egg, lol
  • Superkeeper published 09/04/2008
    great review. Bet you are running out of egg jokes now! ED
  • EllieHarris04 published 20/10/2007
    Favourite sweet at easter :) love them x