Review of "Cadbury Creme Eggs"

published 23/06/2009 | gavallan2020
Member since : 13/05/2009
Pro tastes good, good/unique idea, multipacks available
Cons overpriced, full of sugar, only come around at Easter
Smell
Product Quality

"Creme Egg: bit expensive for a pile of sugar"

Cadburys Creme Egg

Cadburys Creme Egg

*** this review first appeared on dooyoo.co.uk ***

The Cadbury Creme Egg is one of Cadburys longest estabilished products. It was first available in stores only a couple of years after Cadbury started up. Although up until the early 1970s, the recipe and taste of them was massively different. Since 1971 onwards, the Creme Egg that we have now came into production. The creme egg is basically what it says, a creme egg. Although it does also have quite a some flavourers etc. and a whole load of sugar.

Taste

With the Creme Egg its either hit or miss. You will either love it or hate it. Personally I think they are fantastic and they do taste great for me. My favourite part of them is biting through the chocolate and into the center. Although whenever I try this I always take to much and end up eating the whole thing in 2 bites :). Although I do have to question whether the good taste is down to the whole load of sugar thats put in or just the recipe in general. My guess is that you knew there was a lot of sugar in Creme Eggs, although I bet you didn't know that a Creme Egg is made up of just under 50% (48%) sugar. Thats just about half of the whole egg being sugar. Obviously this isn't very good for you so its a good thing they are kept quite small. So on the whole, the taste is very good, although I have to question whether this is down to good quality chocolate and production or the sugar thats shovelled in.

Appearance and Price

As you would guess from the name, the Creme Egg is just basically an Egg. The center is a mixture of sugar, gluccose syrup and some other chemicals (< main ingredients). The full list of ingredients is at the bottom of the review. Packaging as usual is attempted at being colourful and shiny as to stand out in the stores. In terms of price, the Creme Egg should cost around 50p in stores. This is OK value for money but nothing special when you consider the size of the thing. Creme Eggs also come in multipacks of 6 and 12. Although only really around Easter time. The other variation of the Creme Egg is Creme Egg minis. I assume I don't have to say what they are.

So on the whole, a good tasting item although it isn't that great on the value for money front. Also, it is questionable whether the taste is down to the massive amounts of sugar or not.

Full Ingredients:

Milk Chocolate: Milk, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fat, Emulsifiers: E442 and Soya Lecithin, Flavourings. Fondant: (48%) Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Invert Sugar Syrup, Dried Egg White, Flavouring, Colour: Sunset Yellow.

• paulpry118 published 25/06/2009