Review of "Cadbury Creme Eggs"

published 15/12/2009 | Sexy-Jams
Member since : 15/12/2009
Pro Unique, Nostalgic, Sweet, Indulgent
Cons High Calorie/Sugar, Sickly, Christmas
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"A Creme Egg, At Christmas?!"

Every month I pick myself up Stuff magazine. It is by far my favourite monthly magazine and I highly suggest and gadget or tech fans out there like me should really start reading it! Anyway, I was picking it up in WHSmith as usual, when I noticed something, not so usual. A Cadbury Crème Egg, at Christmas… Madness…

Anyway, as a chocolate reviewer I’m obviously going to pick it up, knowing I hadn’t actually yet given it a formal going over. I have though, reviewed its brother, The Crème Egg Twisted, but never the classic egg.

Putting aside how silly it is to be seeing this about at Christmas, we all love Crème Eggs don’t we? Well, I certainly do. In fact, last Easter I probably averaged 2 a day, for 40 days! Not even exaggerating. Let’s take a closer look at why these are so popular.

The egg shape is a classic. Some argue it’s size has declined over the years, but the general shape has remained the same, and it’s always had that nice, dense feel when you hold one in your hand. The foil wrapping is certainly traditional, and although sometimes the design is slightly askew, the colour scheme is very bright and attractive.

Its 39g size is almost the same as that of a normal chocolate bar. I love unwrapping these things and so many people eat them in such different ways. Personally, I go with the flow. I don’t necessarily have any preference, and have been known to eat it in one go. For today, I went for the straight bite off the top method; and my gosh it was satisfying.

The thick milk chocolate shell is beautifully soft and milky itself. The milk chocolate flavours are sweet and moreish, and the creaminess of the melt already makes the experience a good one. Then we come to the fondant. This super sweet fondant unexplainably manages to avoid being too sickly, and delivers in a viscous texture accompanied by some delicious vanilla, sugar flavours.

The textures of these 2 elements, the rather thick milk chocolate coating, along with the thick, syrupy fondant are quite luxurious, and the sweet flavours are never cloying, but always satisfying. That being said, they are quite moreish, and I would have certainly eaten another. Nonetheless, they’re sugar satisfaction in a small egg, and I love them, and I bet you do too.

• SweetTooth93 published 15/12/2009
    Defo a bit early in the year..or late! Yum xx
  • lds1985 published 15/12/2009
    Mmm i could eat one any day of the week! Good review :)