Review of "Cadbury Creme Eggs"

published 18/02/2015 | CoffeeQueen68
Member since : 08/01/2014
Pro Nice taste, lots of gooey fondant in the shell.
Cons The shell isn't so hard to crack now.
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Have Creme Eggs finally cracked?"

Cadbury Creme Eggs

Cadbury Creme Eggs

I've always loved creme eggs. I remember them as a kid biting the top off and licking out the contents. I've probably eaten hundreds of these small chocolate eggs over the years. So, when things change with something I've loved for years, I notice. And I have noticed the change in these! It was announced last month that the makers of these Creme Eggs shall no longer be using dairy milk to make the chocolate casing, but it shall be using a standard cocoa mix chocolate. That's shocking, isn't it?!

Price and Packaging

I bought a small box of these eggs for £2 from my local Kwik Save store. Each egg is individually wrapped in a foil wrapper. The wrapper is the famous purple and red colouring, with a splat of yellow on it with the words Cadbury Creme Egg written on it. There are 5 x 40g eggs inside this box.

On the bottom of the box, it gives you the nutritional information, ingredients, a little bit of information about the egg and contact details.
The Creme Eggs

As I say, the egg shells were formally made with dairy milk, but are now made with cocoa mix chocolate, in my opinion, a substandard version of the dairy milk. You see, the thing I remember about these eggs is that once I bit the top off, I was able to cleanly lick the contents out without any fuss or mess, and I would be left with a hollow, yet unbroken, egg shell. I don't find this is the case now, which is a shame. I try to bite the top of the shell off, and I find the while shell breaks away in my hands, and the fondant inside trying to escape. Shame that, all I can do now is sit back and think of the good times me and my love affair with the creme egg once had.Anyway, these eggs, according to the back of the packet, are milk chocolate eggs with a soft fondant centre (47%). The fondant inside the egg is white and yellow, and is quite thick and gooey in consistency. I don't find much change in the fondant itself, and I still like trying to lick this out of the shell. It does taste quite sweet and a bit sickly, but there is a lot of fondant inside the egg and is thick and rich. The chocolate shell looks to the eye like normal chocolate and is quite thick once cracked open. I don't find much difference in the taste of it, but I find the consistency of it isn't as strong and tough as it used to be. I like the shell to be able to stay in once piece, and it did used to, but as I said, it just breaks away in my mouth now, which is a bit sad. But I don't feel that the taste has diminished in anyway. Each creme egg is about the size of a small sized egg and contains vegetable fats in addition to cocoa butter.
Nutritional Information (per 40g egg)
  • Energy - 744 kj
  • Protein - 1.3g
  • Salt - 0.06g

www.cadbury.co.uk
My Thoughts

I do still enjoy eating these creme eggs, it's just a shame the shell isn't as hard as I remember it. Yes, perhaps it's down to this change of chocolate, but hey, it's still edible. I just have to find a different way of eating it now!Thanks for reading.
Louise

• Dentolux published 26/02/2015
    Eggcellent review. I had no idea that Cadbury had altered the recipe.
  • missrarr published 25/02/2015
    Nice review, horrible product! Can't stand the idea of eating one of these, don't know how I did as a kid!
  • frankiecesca published 25/02/2015