Cadbury Dairy Milk Crispies

Cadbury Dairy Milk Crispies

Review of "Cadbury Dairy Milk Crispies"

published 01/11/2004 | jammy_banana
Member since : 20/07/2004
Pro lovely tasting choc, not too many crispies
Cons melts easily, others may prefer more crispies
Smell
Product Quality

"We've all got crispie bits"

I have views about rice krispie buns. I don’t like them and as such I have certain opinions about “crispies” in chocolate. I don’t mind a few here and there to give texture but I hate a whole job lot of them a la the Toffee Crisp. So when I heard about the introduction of crispies into a bar of Dairy Milk chocolate I was naturally sceptical.

This bar is a relatively new addition to the Dairy Milk family. I believe it was introduced in time for Christmas 2003. So it has been around for nearly a year but has it won over the British chocolate buying public and would it win over me? I was doubtful as to whether or not I would like it. I was fairly certain the vast majority of the public would like it, after all the Toffee Crisp has been around for years. You can buy the Dairy Milk with crispies in a 49gram bar or larger 200gram bars. Each standard sized bar costs around 35p to 50p. The larger bars usually cost a little over £1.

The wrapper enclosing the Dairy Milk Crispies is spilt into two. The top half is the familiar purple of the ordinary Dairy Milk but underneath the white swirl containing the words “Dairy Milk” the colour changes into a very pale lemon yellow colour. Over to the right hand side there is a picture of a cube of chocolate with a glass and a half of milk being poured in. The cube of chocolate has what looks like rice krispies embedded in it. There are also several crispies orbiting the cube giving the whole thing a more excitable feel than the traditional Dairy Milk Wrapper. Just to the bottom left of the cube of chocolate there is the word “crispies” in purple letters. The wrapper describes the chocolate as “Milk chocolate with crispies”. I have to say that I do not find that description appealing.

Opening the wrapper unleashes the wonderfully distinctive Cadbury chocolate smell. The sweet, creamy chocolate smell that can only be Cadbury’s. As with all in the Dairy Milk range the bar is divided up into six squares. I turn the bar over and I nearly scream. The bottom of the bar is covered in crispies! It’s like that spider scene in Indiana Jones and is nearly enough to give me a heart attack. I am having nightmare visions of the crispies taking over the whole chocolate bar.

I am somewhat relieved when I break off the first piece and discover that the crispies are largely on the bottom, there are virtually none in the raised bit of the square. I chew the first piece and the crispies add interesting texture to the soft Cadbury’s chocolate. However the flavour of the Cadbury’s chocolate overwhelms any taste the crispies might have had. I suck the next piece and the eating experience is all the more enjoyable. The Cadbury’s chocolate melts readily but instead of becoming liquid it is transformed into a thicker goo on your tongue that floods your mouth with its creamy, sweet mild chocolate flavour. Slowly, one by one the crispies are freed from their chocolaty prison to be crunched by your teeth. Doing so causes them to release their flavour: a subtle malty tang which perfectly compliments the rich chocolate. The overall taste is not dissimilar to mars bar krispies (which I prefer to plain old rice krispie buns).

I have a few further observations I would like to make. The addition of the crispies seem to make the chocolate harder to break as they are spread out along the bottom. The crispies are also not as tightly packed as they are in the Toffee Crisp and I feel that the bar is all the better for it. Like all Cadbury’s chocolate this bar melts easily, a little too easily.

Am I converted though? I have to say that this was a very nice chocolate bar. I was pleasantly surprised by just how nice it was. Therefore I would recommend it to anyone who likes Dairy Milk chocolate. It is perfect for those occasions when you want something chocolaty but also want a little texture to the bar. The addition of the crispies add a pleasant crisp crunch to the chocolate without overwhelming it (the actual crispies make up 10% of the bar). This means that in my opinion there was a good chocolate to crispie ratio.

I happened to buy this bar as part of a special 4 for £1 deal in Woolworth’s (hurrah for Woolies!). I would have gladly paid full price for it though (but only after trying it and discovering that is really rather nice). I think it gives the consumer good value for money as if you eat it piece by piece you can make it last a long time. I found it to be quite a filling bar so it would make a good snack, however it would need to be kept cool otherwise it would quite happily turn into a gooey mess.

I was so impressed with this chocolate bar that I am willing to give the Toffee Crisp a second chance to prove itself. I still think that I will avoid the rice krispie buns though

• BabyGirl published 17/11/2004
    Oooh sounds lovely!! :D xx
  • deebeebee published 02/11/2004
    The cripsies put me off! Nice review though. Diane.
  • Puma1000 published 02/11/2004