Campino

Campino

Review of "Campino"

published 18/10/2005 | micksheff
Member since : 18/07/2003
There seems to be less and less people rating these days. Just the same faithful few....
Pro Taste Lovely
Cons Lots Of Sugar And Calories
Smell
Product Quality

"Anyone For Strawberries & Cream?"

I have just been sucking on a few Campino Strawberry and Cream Sweets, whilst reading and rating some Ciao reviews and I have just remembered how nice they taste. This is why I have decided to make them the subject of my latest review.

The Product

Campino's are hard boiled sweets which are described as having a unique taste which combines the taste of real fruit and fresh cream within a single candy. They are made by Storck, the same people who make Werther's Original Buttery Sweets which are another favourite of mine, and also the subject of a previous review.

Campino's are a fairly recently addition to the Storck range and were launched in 2000. There are to my knowledge at least 3 different varieties available in the UK. These are Strawberry and Cream, Orange and Cream and Summertime Fruits. Although Summertime Fruits contain individual Peach, Blueberry and Raspberry sweets making a total of 5 different flavours. Other flavours including Blackcurrant and Chocolate and Caramel have been trialled in their Homeland of Germany and these were sold also in Austria and Switzerland. It is possible that these and other flavours reached the UK but I am not sure. I have seen the Chocolate and Caramel flavour in America where I understand that they are quite popular.

I have only actually tried the Strawberry and Cream variety so this flavour will form the basis of my review hereafter.

The Packaging

Campino's Strawberry and Cream come in a very eye-catching tubular packet which is predominately bright pink and red in colour. These packets contain 43g which gives you ten individual sweets. These are available in my local supermarket for 39p a time.

They are also available in 140g hanging bags and this is what I bought myself recently. This bag cost me 94p from the Asda and contains around 40 sweets so this represents better value for money than the smaller cylindrical tubes.

The Packaging

Campino Strawberry and Cream Sweets come in a pink oblong shaped bag with a picture of a whole real Strawberry in the middle of it immersed in a splat of Fresh Cream. Surrounding this picture there is a swirl of bright red strawberry juice. Above this the word "Campino" is written in an arch in large blue fancy lettering.

The reverse of the bag contains the ingredients and the best before date as you would expect but there is no nutritional information.
There is also a satisfaction guarantee plus an address to write to for further consumer information.

Appearance & Taste

As you tear open the bag you are greeted with each of the individual sweets wrapped separately for freshness. Each sweet looks like a miniature version of the outer packaging and is not simply wrapped in cellophane it is actually shrink-wrapped into a high quality looking airtight package.

The airtight wrappers are actually quite difficult to tear open and I usually resort to biting the end with my teeth and then ripping the wrapper in half.

The sweets have a very sweet aroma to them which is obviously intended to smell like Strawberries and Cream but here it fails somewhat and it is actually quite a sickly synthetic smell and not particularly pleasant. The sweets themselves are round in shape and quite thick. They are covered in pink and white swirls which remind me a beach ball.

The texture is very hard, these sweets are definitely made for sucking and not chomping, and as soon as you pop one into your mouth the taste is instant. The initial taste is of Strawberry but this is surprisingly realistic and then the rich taste of the Cream rushes in to provide something that is very unique.

I find that it possible to suck on one of these sweets for a good ten minutes or more and the taste does not diminish at all. The taste is very smooth and sweet and lingers in the mouth even after the sweet has totally disappeared.

The Nutritional Information

There is no information relating to this on the packaging but it is available on request from their consumer address although I suspect that they hope that not too many people request it. I believe that all packaging should be clearly labelled with such information along with information relating to allergies etc so I did request this information and I am posting it here for the purpose of completeness and the give the consumer a more informed choice.

Per 100g these sweets contain

418 Kilojoules, 0.1g Protein, 7g of fat but wait it for it this the probably the reason why this information is omitted from the packages. These sweets contain 87.g of carbohydrates of which a whopping 46.1g are Sugars.

The product may contain traces of Nuts but it is free from Egg, Yeast, Gluten, Sesame Seeds and Maize. It also contains no genetically modified ingredients and is free from all artificial preservatives.

For further information you can write to the address below:

Storck Ltd
Moor side Road
Winchester
Hampshire
England

Conclusion

I find these are an excellent sweet and perfect for having on standby during a long car journey. They have a very strong taste which really does taste like Strawberries and Cream are are perfection in moderation. I would however that they could become a little bit sickly if you ate too many.

Thank you for reading.

• eve6kicksass published 28/04/2007
    These sound quite yummy! Chris
  • JohnGroom published 19/10/2005
    There's an old woman around the corner who gives me one occasionally. I don't think I'd actually buy them though.
  • tekin21 published 18/10/2005