Review of "Canon EOS 500 N"

published 15/03/2002 | TheFist
Member since : 15/03/2002
Pro easy to use and it really tooks nice photos
Cons I have no idea - for the moment
Picture Quality
Range & Quality of Features
Ease of Use
Reliability
Size

"How Sabine get's a free photo course"

Everytime it sounds first "sssssrrrsssrrrtt" an then "clack", if I put a new photo film into this amusingly camera, "I believe there's something broken!"

"Yes, woman and technique...", I thought. But then I explained to Sabine, where this noises come from. Finally she bought these camera, because I had recommended it to here and additionally she's my sister-in-law. (Maybe I have to say that she lives in germany, as me too...)

If you had a little time, I would like to explain to you all of those predevides of this camera. So you will see, why this is my purchase recommendation. You will learn a lot about your new camera and get some helpfull tipps too.

Inserting a film

The noises you heared are completely normally. This camera at first pulls the film completely out of the roll and then the film is exposed from the rear. The last picture of the film is now the first picture you will take. Eache exposed photo will take place back in the roll.

That is the reason why your photos are more safe in this camera than in otherones. If a misfortune to you occurs and therefor the rear-cover of your camera jumps up, the photos you allready took will be saved, because they are back into the roll. You should forget the rest of the film... In other cameras it is turned around. You can use the rest of the film and better forget the photos you have allready took.

And Sabine, is it understandabele to you? - Nice, that makes me happy.

Some more details, functions and tipps

The weight of a reflex camera is very imortant. This aspect is often underestimated. A light camera is to be kept evenly simpler in the balance, so you do not blur the pictures so fast.
The Canon EOS 500 N is one of the lightest cameras you can find. But there is a little more to say about bluring a picture.

You must know about the little mirror in such reflex cameras. In the moment you take the photo, this mirror folds abward and releases to the incident light the way to the photo-film. Exactly in this moment, there is a small vibration, which you can hardly feel, but which can make you the picture blur. But the Canon it has, contrary to other models, so small vibrations that you do not have to think about it.

The provided standard-lens puts you into the position to make both close-ups and distant objects completely well.
I personally bought me later in addition a nice
75-300 mm lens, with which I can make still more beautiful landscape accommodations. But you need not to do the same, you can borrow it from me if you need. Annother tipp, by the way we talk about the lens. You should absolutely buy a skylight filter. This protects the lens against scratches and does not costs more than 10,-- or 15,-- €. If a scratch took place, a new filter is much more cheaply than a new lens.

What did you say? You have now no more time? Unfortunate, I could have still so much told you. Nevertheless know you now, why you bought this camera. And 360,--€ are really not too much for it. And to say it clearly: you can take great pictures with it, but you need not to now too much about photography.

• Elainebaba published 18/03/2002
    Glad you found it simple to use. good op. Avril
  • garlicpress published 16/03/2002
    I've seen (and liked) this one already, although in a different language... Welcome again and have fun with this friendly community!
  • ray52 published 16/03/2002
    Welcome. Great start. I hope you enjoy the experience of ciao.