KatieSumm... 5

KatieSummerell

Member since:01.01.1970

glug, glug, glug, CLICK!

27.02.2004

Advantages:
Light, small, good quality underwater photo's

Disadvantages:
none

Picture Quality

2. DMC1
  3. silver40
  1. Kingseany
  2. kellyv43

Surely I'm not the only person left in the world who thinks that film camera photo's are better quality than digital images? Am I?

Am I the only one who doesn't get orgasmic over the number of megapixels on a digital camera?

Now don't get me wrong, I do indeed own a digital camera myself and they have their advantages, but in terms of picture quality the good old 35mm film is much sharper in my opinion.

Anyway, why did I buy this camera? Well, I already own a Canon Ixus AF and am very happy with it but as I often go on holiday to the beach I needed a camera that was not only waterproof but sandproof and indeed throw-about-proof.

So, I duly marched down to Jessops and picked up the Canon IXUS X-1 Compact Camera which they told me, was the smallest waterproof Camera in the world! How priveleged I felt!

Okay, lets start with the looks. The picture of course makes it looks huge which of course it isn't, it fitted easily into the palm of my hands and weighs only 220 grams.

So how sturdy is it? The answer is VERY. If you ever wanted to play basketball and didn't have a ball, you could use this instead. This camera is SOLID and I've tested it to almost certain destruction on the beach and it's still working!

Is it waterproof? Yeah it's waterproof. A word of warning though, although it's fine for use on the beach I wouldn't take it scuba diving or anything hardcore like that as it's only water resistant to a depth of 5m. I wouldn't take it to the local swimming pool also as you're likely to get arrested. As I found out. Just kidding.

It's also very easy to use and large viewfinder is a plus and you can see clearly through goggles. The camera also has a macro lens to take close up photo's underwater.

Other features iclude five flash modes, a self-timer button, red eye reduction so that you don't look like the devil in your night time pictures, autofocus which makes it pretty much point-and-shoot.

The advantage that this has over other 35mm camera's is that it's APS (Advanced Photo System) which means there's no need to wind on film as it does it automatically. Also you get 25 pictures as standard and you get a index print when you get the photo's developed.

Right, on to the price. Ciao will try and tell you that it costs £129.99 but don't believe a word of it, I picked mine up for a bargain price of £90. Which I think is very reasonable for a camera that's pretty much unbreakable and will be with you for years to come.

To summarise this is a reasonably priced, extrememly durable and easy to use underwater camera which takes good quality photo's. I'll leave you with the specifications and hope you get as much pleasure from using this as I do.

KS:-)

Underwater Operation Depth: 5m
Image size 16.7 x 30.2 mm
Lens Canon lens 23mm f/4.8
Autofocus On Land: Active, central single-point Underwater: Fixed focus Underwater Macro: Fixed focus
Shutter Speeds 1/650 to 1/2 sec
Viewfinder displays (1) C print frame (2) H print frame (3) P print frame (4) AF frame
Film type APS
Film loading Fully automatic
Film winding Automatic, single frame exposure (0.8sec per frame)
Film rewinding Automatic at end of film
Self-timer Electronically controlled 10 seconds delay timer, activitated by pressing the shutter button
Red-eye reduction Yes
Built-in flash Yes, flash fires automatically in low-light conditions
Date/title function Yes
Power supply One CR2 battery
Dimensions (WxHxD) 105 x 74.6 x 46.7
Weight 220g

silver40 21.03.2004 10:02

Sounds great although I wouldn't find much use for an underwater camera. I own an Ixus which is great for snaps and you can attach it to your belt which means you don't leave it in some cafe after too many glasses of wine. Dave

numberthree 11.03.2004 15:46

Nice review. I'd love an underwater camera. Cheers, Jan

WormThatTurned 08.03.2004 17:32

Great op, sounds a bit too small actually :)