First of all the Canon PowerShot G12 is an amazing camera. There is no disputing that. However is it the right camera for you? This review will hopefully help you decide if it is the right one for you. It has amazing features and is used by upcoming professionals, as well as hobbyists. I'll run through a quick briefing of its specifications and features which separate the G12 from the rest, and allow you (hopefully) to make the right decision when forking out half a G.
The G12 comes with amazing features which separate it from its market competitors, the G12 comes with these features:
- The Canon PowerShot G12 can shoot in a myriad of formats ranging from your generic widescreen view (16:9) to 3:2 and 1:1. Sounds complicated for first time camera buyers I know, but basically it is a feature which allows your photos to be taken with the right aspect without post-process.
Extensive accessory system
- The accessories for the G12 are phenomenal, the camera has been designed to allow extensive use of accessories making it the perfect camera for MOST people. You can attach a waterproof case to capture an amazing underwater experience. You can add different lenses - mainly for the more serious photographer, making this camera great for people wanting to get into the photography industry. Various other accessories are available for this camera too.
7.0 cm (2.8") vari-angle LCD, Electronic Level, OVF
- This is a fantastic feature, the LCD screen allows the photographer to see if they are using the camera at a perfectly horizontal angle, meaning you can adjust your angle to get the best quality picture. It helps with taking pictures at those awkward angles too a the LCD screen will adjust to allow the photographer to create their own shooting style.
Front Dial, Full Manual & RAW
- The full manual setting allows the user to be more experimental - or more professional - depending on your reason of purchase. It means you take full control of all the little twiddly bits, turning knobs and flicking switches to get the best photo you can.
HD movies, HDMI
- The G12 is not just for stunning HD pictures but for 720p HD, Surround sound, videos too. With easy playback and simple capturing, the video mode gives this camera another perk for all users.
High Dynamic Range mode
- When used with a tripod this camera can take photos of the same scenario and combine them for the perfect picture. It captures shadow, depth of field and range - which most cameras struggle to do.
- Smart auto is a feature designed to make this camera perfect for the first time photographer or hobbyist. It allows you to capture the breathtaking moments or stunning scenery with little technical knowhow. Got a artistic eye for photographs? Wanting to start in photography? This cameras Smart Auto helps you get used to what makes a good photo and what doesn't, making it great for first-timers.
- The HS system allows the camera to change its lighting modes and shutter speed meaning the photos can be taken to professional standard and used for all types of aesthetic picture taking.
High-sensitivity 10 MP CCD
- See HS System. Additional information: The 10MP means the photos are taken to fantastic quality and the G12 uses its HS system to take photos with no blur when moving, or lots of movement blur - if you want.
28mm wide, 5x zoom lens, Hybrid IS
- The 28-140mm lens allows for photos to be taken to exceptional quality. Distance and zoom do not effect the clarity of the photos. The Hybrid IS system allows macro photos to be taken to exceptional quality too.
The G12 averages around £500 and could potentially be used to earn much much more than that, should you use it for professional use. As a hobby, £500 is little to nothing for the amount of happiness and satisfaction this camera will give you. You can't put a price on your memories, and with this camera you can take pictures of those memories, of exceptional quality, to remember all the easier and share those amazing moments with friends and family.
5 Quick notes
1) Durable and Strong, firm outer case, feels quality made.
2) Black sheek look makes it look professional and mature.
3) Easy to use.
4) Great Value for money.
5) Stunning quality.
To conclude the Canon PowerShot G12 is breathtaking, it's extensive range of features, accessories and range of uses make it one of the best cameras available for its value. I highly recommend this product, not just for a hobbyist, not just for a professional but for anybody who needs a camera, you will not be disappointed. It is so simple and easy to use, meaning the first-time photographer can play around e.g. with shutter-speeds to experience a whole new level of photography. Or simply apply to Smart Auto and take professional standard photos with little experience. The G12 looks great too, black casing makes it look professional and mature.
Hope I've helped describe the G12 and helped you make a decision on which camera to buy. Feel free to comment as all criticism is greatly appreciated.