Capital One Platinum

Capital One Platinum

Review of "Capital One Platinum"

published 28/09/2001 | Andrew.Self
Member since : 22/09/2001
Pro 0% for first 6 months, also sensible credit limits.
Cons The 6 months has to end sometime :-)
Competitiveness of APR
Product package
Quality of Customer Service
Reward Scheme
Additional Charges

"Capital One is a good thing"

There's obviously mixed feelings in this area about Capital One. I've had no problems with the Capital One Platinum Card.

They appealed to me to start with because of the 0% interest for the first six months, also because of the low rate on balance transfers. In fact, they offered me a free CD player walkman thing if I transferred over £1000 onto the card along with the application form. I promptly received my credit card, telephoned the 0800 number to activate it and then a few days later, I got my CD player. I promptly then paid the card off with cash at the bank and I got charged about £7 for the interest inbetween transferring the £1000 onto the card and paying it off in full. Not bad for a CD player :-)

I've used the card extensively within the first six months but I'm still paying it off nearly as quickly as I'm spending - you have to do this otherwise you get stuck when the six months is over and then you can't pay off the balance and then you start with the whole interest-paying thing!!!

I've never been told in a shop that I can't use the card, and even when I made a purchase of over £1000 on the card, it just went "right through" as if it were any other platinum card. I can't make up my mind whether I think that's a good thing or not; something inside me tells me that it would be a bad thing if I lost the card because large purchases don't get queried or anything. With a "standard" card, they might indicate on the swipe machine that the shop should phone up for authorisation (giving the credit card company time to check the card is not registered as stolen).

I've not had any fraudulent use of the card yet, which is a good thing that not many people think that much about. I have had another brand of platinum card used fraudulently (I think it may have been cloned) but I'm very happy with my Capital One card.

They don't send much junk mail or leaflets out with the statements (another small feature I like!) and even if I did end up paying interest after the 0% period ends, it's fairly regular just like all the others so no great problem.

I've also never had to contact the customer service, which I think is a good thing. Fair enough, it means I've never found out what they're like when I'm not happy with something, but I think it's even better that I've not even had to call them. They set me a sensibly credit limit (i.e. more than I would want to spend) which leaves me with the purchasing power I need.

I declined the legal cover and the payment protection plan. They also offered me the card cancelling plan - if you lose your wallet you just phone them up and they will cancel all your cards for you. I would have taken up this policy if I didn't already have it elsewhere. They didn't bug me until I took out any of the additional policies, they respected that I didn't want them, which I appreciated.

The only thing on my list of negatives for this card is that there's no incentive to actually *use* the card apart from the first 6 months being free of interest. For example, so many other cards are giving say 1% back to you as cash, or you can collect points to buy things out of a catalogue... this card offers nothing. However it does offer hassle-free shopping which is perhaps more important.

• oshposh published 24/12/2002
    dont worry they will bombard you and theyll call u i've had the card for quite a few years and it never stops
  • sue.51 published 28/09/2001
    If you transfer a higher balance you get a Free Digital portable home phone - don't know how I missed that one until it turned up at my house. Little confused as to why it shouldn't be accepted 'just like any other platinum card' - any credit card will be accepted providing there is credit available, although if you are a regular user and then suddenly make a large purchase alarm bells should start ringing with the company. As Platinum cards go, it is one of the easier ones to get, requiring an income some £15K less than any of the platinum competitors. Sue
  • moose published 28/09/2001
    Yep! Not having to contact customer services is definitely a good thing! You could even get your CD player for free I guess if you time the date that the interest is added. Good opinion but I'll stick with my Boots Advantage one for a bit longer, I like my extra Boots points!!!!

Product Information : Capital One Platinum