CarCraft Sheffield Car Supermarket

CarCraft Sheffield Car Supermarket

Review of "CarCraft Sheffield Car Supermarket"

published 25/03/2012 | philosophicles1
Member since : 25/03/2012
Pro Good cars, low-pressure, added extras
Cons Not the cheapest, careful with finance products
Price
Service
Efficiency

"Mostly very happy with Carcraft"

Well, I went to Carcraft Sheffield more than a month ago now - I wanted to wait before reviewing in case I had any after-sales mishaps. I've not had any. I'm essentially very happy - ultimately I think a lot depends on your expectations beforehand, and I'd done a lot of research so I think I knew what to expect:
  • Buying a car isn't a really speedy in-and-out process - it did take a while (many hours) from walking in to driving out, a lot of which was waiting around for paperwork etc. Frankly, I think anyone who complains about this is being unreasonable.
  • The finance deals are not great financially, but - oh, surprise - they're only offered to make the company money! So of course they're not favourable to you, the borrower. Read the T&Cs and fine print carefully, if you don't like it save up for a bigger deposit.
  • I didn't feel pressured at all while I was there - got offered a cuppa whilst looking at cars, other than that the sales guy left me alone more or less until I'd made up my mind what car I wanted.
  • In terms of price/value - well, you do end up paying more than base market value for anything there. That's for a number of reasons I guess - they've got to take their cut at the end of the day, but also you do get the free service, warranty, first MOT etc in the price. Whether or not going here ends up saving you money (compared to a private sale) depends how lucky you are with the car - some break, some don't. It's a gamble, like any insurance product, but you're paying for peace of mind.
  • My main criticism is that I'd looked at their website beforehand and seen cars advertised in the £3k+ price band. This was really want I wanted to be paying - I didn't have a lot of money to play with and wanted to avoid finance. When I got to the showroom, there was nothing below about £8k, and this was in some cases the EXACT SAME cars (same reg) as advertised online. So basically their website seems to exist just to lure you in. I asked the sales guy about this and he gave me a load of waffle about "we don't see or control the online prices, but we set them in this showroom". Bottom line, this is a bit dodge but it wasn't worth my time to argue more - just hope other people can read this and be prepared for the difference when they walk in.
  • That all said, I did manage to haggle a lot off the window price so it was all more or less the same in the end. Tip 1: take it all really slowly, go to the loo to give yourself time to think then come out and haggle some more. Tip 2: they can give you more money off if you take out finance, so I ended up taking out finance there for a small amount on top of my deposit, then just ringing the finance people the next day and cancelling it again, paying it all off with remainder of my would-be-deposit money. This got me the car at a cheaper price than if I'd just paid them lump-sum.
  • There was somewhat more sales pressure once I was doing the haggling - understandable, really, the sales guy has to "go in for the kill" to make his commission. I coped but if you're nervous or easily pressured, this bit could be a problem. See tips above, take a friend if necessary to help reality-check before you shake hands on a deal.
  • Other criticism - the guy who took me through the finance product tried to make me ignore the APR interest figure in favour of the (lower) base interest figure. I'm reasonably savvy about this and know that APR is always the one to look for - he could have caught others out. Since I wasn't intending to actually /use/ the finance I wasn't that bothered, but that was a bit poor of him.
  • Since I've taken the car home I've not had any problems at all (yay!), so can't say much about their after-sales.

Summary: I'm perfectly happy because I did some research beforehand, knew what I wanted and was happy to take my time to get it. This place is not a good place to go alone if you're in a hurry, you don't understand the maths of finance, know nothing about cars (they can go wrong after, despite the best efforts of a mechanic before the sale), etc. Also not if you want a really budget banger - here, pay more, get more.

• ithoughtyoudneverask published 26/03/2012
    Good, balanced review. Welcome to ciao!
  • dynamicnurse published 25/03/2012