Review of "Carling Black Label Lager"

published 06/12/2001 | blurbubble
Member since : 14/07/2000
Pro Can be bought cheaply at supermarkets, won't get you too drunk!
Cons Fairly mediocre

"OH WELL, IT'S BETTER THAN GNAT'S PEE.."

Now what the Hell I am doing writing about this?! I’m more of a wine and spirits connoisseur personally but I do sometimes drink lager and my boyfriend gets through quite a bit, so maybe I am qualified after all!!

Carling Black Label – forget trendy TV adverts for a moment and let’s concentrate on the product itself. The can is black and white (hence “Black Label?!) and 500ml size – if buying a bulk back of 24 cans it only works out at about 80p per can if on offer at the supermarket but per can it is generally about £1.20 - £1.50.

Brewed in Britain (Burton-on-Trent apparently?) and been around for some time so I guess it must be popular. Alcohol content is 4.1% and it boasts on the can “superbly refreshing, with a unique malty sweet flavour, balanced with a hoppy bitterness and the aroma of freshly harvested grain”!! I dunno about that, it just tastes and smells like your average mid-range lager to me!! Pass the White Zinfandel if you please…..

I’ve drunk a few cans when not in the wine mood and particularly at the Reading Festivals which are sponsored by Carling, and very little other beer is available apart from this! I don’t like my lager TOO strong, but I don’t like it weak and pathetic either – this is OK if bordering a little on the latter. Best serve chilled (as are most lagers/beers) it IS very gassy and I am a good burper – so beware!! However it is easy to drink without the overly bitter or tinny aftertaste of some cheaper lagers.

My boyfriend prefers a stronger lager/beer (what IS the difference between lager and beer anyway??) such as Grolsh or Stella Artois, but he too has drunk this at the Reading Festival as well as at home occasionally when he is in the mood for something milder. Again he also finds it gassy but drinkable although rather weak in taste. If he is not in much of a drinking mood he likes it with lemonade to make a shandy or lager top.

So, it’s an OK canful in its range – nothing special or outstanding. Myself I think I’ll stick to the wine unless we have nothing else in ;o)

• pinkmatchstick published 07/02/2006
    A fair review
  • MRSCANADA published 16/03/2002
    I wanted to tell you I finished reading your page 4 today.. and enjoyed all of your reviews...LL
  • jelfs666 published 05/02/2002
    Good opinion! And by the way, lager is brewed practically upside down to the way beer is, that's the difference, this is why lager was discovered completely by accident!