Carlton SE100

Carlton SE100

Espresso Machine - Top Mounted Filter - without Integrated Coffee Grinder - Max volume:10, 4 cups - Steam

Review of "Carlton SE100"

published 15/11/2004 | faltskog5450
Member since : 06/10/2004
Hi, I am 44 years of age. I live in Aberdeenshire, and I am the carer of my little boy who has Autostic Spectrum Disorder. I have 5 children.
Pro Looks great, excellent coffee within a few minutes
Cons No choice of colours
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"A brilliant coffee maker"

I had fancied a coffee maker that makes cappuccino coffee since they came onto the domestic market. Now my dreams have come true. Currys had a large selection and hubby and I studied the shelves for quite a while. Both liking a bargain, this one took our attention straight away as it was half price. I tend to purchase well known brands, but this one did look good, and having purchased Carlton before, I didn't hesitate. It does Espresso, cappuccino and filter coffee all in one machne. The filter jug was also a good large size which makes it appealing when there are 7 in one household. After leaving the shop we still had a 37 mile drive home which is a bit of a nightmare when you are desperate for a coffee. But we did it. The next problem was purchasing the right type of coffee for it. The instructions are brilliant but all they say is expresso ground coffee and ground coffee for the filter. They obviously didn't realise the shelves and shelves of coffee we were gonna have to struggle over. We left armned with the shops own make and within half an hour the house was smelling like a coffee shop. A house buyers dream!
A very very simple machine to use, although it took three cups of coffee to get it spot on. The hardest bit was making sure that you heat the milk to a really high temperature. And of course plently of 'froth'. The coffee was wonderful. Just like a one purchased in an authentic coffee bar. So much so that the froth lasts all the way to the bottom of the cup. A spoon is required at this stage. I found it was better to add sugar before pouring in the frothed milk. Then of course chocolate sprinkles to top. After quite a few cups last night I was exceptionally happy with our buy. As were all the family. My hubby prefers filter coffee, so he had an endless supply for the evening. The filter is a permanent filter, so no horrible paper filters to be seen.

My only grouch is that it recommends that you use a stainless steel jug to heat the milk in. I would have prefered if there had been one supplied as not all households have one. Ours included. But next time I am in town I will make sure I purchase the jug.

A total must for any coffee holic.

• MAFARRIMOND published 15/11/2004
    A good value machine. Maureen
  • drutty published 15/11/2004
    Excellent, thank you. I have a coffee machine myself and it's not so good :( I will look out for this one when I get paid :)
  • chris_ah1 published 15/11/2004
    sounds very good for ony £30.