Review of "Carmex Lip Balm Pot"

published 16/12/2007 | amyloop
Member since : 22/02/2006
Pro All of them
Cons None of them!
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"No problems with my lips!"

INTRO
Among all of my other annoying habits, I always bite the skin on my lips when im
I'm drunk or incredibly nervous. So as you can imagine, after a heavy Friday and Saturday night, on Monday everyone at work thinks i've been on some sort of weird inhaling drug over the weekend because my lips are always dry and swollen and very red!! Sometimes I find myself so attractive!!
I have always found that products like petroleum jelly just give your chapped lips a safety barrier and don't actually heal the skin. So I always use a little pot of Carmex, and I have been using Carmex since about 5 years ago when I was introduced to it.

Boring Stuff
The pot of Carmex was the brands first product and is still its most popular today, it was created in 1937 which I suppose goes to show that even with technical advances nowadays, sometimes the old products are still the best!
I no that there are many other products in the range including different flavours of the product, but personally I prefer simple, and original. Honestly, I've never seen any of the other products on the shelf in shops.
Carmex is said to be made of three keys ingredients which make it so successful,
1. Menthol - This is an anti itch substance which also cools your mouth and stops it becoming irritable and making you want to bite or chew them further
2. Camphor - this is a pain reliever and stops bruised or cut lips from stinging or feeling bruised.
3. Phenol - this is an anaesthetic ingredient which in general numbs the mouth and makes the chapped feeling go away.
Along with these magical ingredients there are a fragrance in a base of petrolatum, natural lanolin, salicylic acid, cocoa butter and a wax base.
And that's it, the ingredients of a miracle substance.
As boring as it may sound, I once read the ingredients and was quite worried about what I was putting on. Mouths are a sensitive part of your body, and although they are self healing and quick healing I always worried about using too many products on my lips just in case they stopped looking after themselves!
If you've ever tried Carmex you will know that from the second you put it on you can smell and feel a reaction happening. Although this is convincing, to whether the product is doing its job it also gives the impression you could be doing damage.
Never fear…The tingling feeling that comes with the application of the product is completely harmless and all of the ingredients in the product are very harmless and most of them are found from natural substances!

Application
Putting Carmex on from the jar is idiot proof, it's exactly the same as using any other lip balm, just plonk it on your lips.
After you put it on the lip balm goes very soft and melts on your lips and gives a shiny effect like gloss, only not sticky. So I actually use Carmex as a lip gloss too!!
I can understand how due to the glossy effect it may put a few men off wearing the product, but it really is the best product to use and will get rid of chapped or broken lips in no time.

Long lasting?
Carmex only comes in a small pot and obviously the length of time it lasts will be down to how much you use it! I use mine constantly and it lasts months, it's really one of those things that go a long way with just a little bit!
As for the effects lasting, they will last as long as you let them, I've starting using Carmex constantly and so my lips don't get a chance to get chapped, however obviously if I didn't use it for a week and kept biting my lips, the chapped effect will come back.

Healing time
Depending on how bad the damage is, Carmex is fast acting. It also helps that your mouth is very fast healing, Carmex and your lips work together and if you coat your lips with Carmex more than a few times a day it should only take a couple of days for the healing to be complete.
Tip - I would recommend that even after your lips are healed you continue using Carmex for the next day or two, to seal the deal!

Cold Sores
I am luckily, not a cold sore sufferer, and so I have no experience of whether Carmex is effective, however, I just rang a girlfriend and asked her (she always has one) and she said that she has tried it, and although it worked for her, it wasn't fast enough for her and she prefers to use another product.

Appearance
Does it matter?? Ok, it comes in a small pot (white) with a screw on lid (yellow) and it says 'CARMEX' on it!
The balm isn't a fashion object in any way, it is not an ultimate fashion handbag extra, but it is an essential in my eyes to any pocket or handbag. The simplicity of its packaging really just outlines how serious and well ranged the product is.
It can be used by men and woman and children without it messing up there image, because it really is just an essential (like toothpaste!)

Ok for children?
Yes, no reason for it not to be.

Any qualms?
Not really, the only problem that I have had with it is like Vaseline and other similar products, in heat it goes very soft and makes it messy to apply.

Price
I buy Carmex from the pound shop at the top of my road….for a pound

TRY IT DUDES

Xx

• ilusvm published 30/01/2009
    oooh could do with some of this right now!! thanks for the info. Em x
  • kevin121 published 30/01/2009
    You should try some balm balm stuff, although abit more pricey.
  • Pmshack99 published 19/12/2007
    Good stuff. I always mean to buy some of this (since even if you dont buy it in a pound shop its still pretty cheap) but I never get around to it. P x