Restaurant & Bar - Address: 145 Calhoun St, Charleston, SC 29401

Review of "Carolina Ale House, Charleston"

published 10/05/2017 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1948
We were travelling but now back so normal service resumed.Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro Good beer choice, tasty fast food, good view over the park
Cons Entrance a bit odd, TVs with sport not great for me but it is a sports bar!
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Carolina Ale House - plenty of Ale and lots of Sport on TV"

Carolina Ale House

145 Calhoun Street
Charleston
SC 29401

We spent a few days in Charleston , South Carolina last year and this was one of the places where we chose to eat. We wanted somewhere we could walk to and that served local beer as my husband always like to sample the local brews.

We wandered up and down the main street and came upon this place overlooking Calhoun Park which was a very nice green area to look over.

&*&*&*&*& ~~~ ARRIVING ~~&*&*&*&*&

We hadn't booked but from below it didn't look that busy. The restaurant was upstairs above another business and we had to get up to the restaurant by a lift which was in a small enclosed entrance and not that welcoming really.

Once upstairs we were warmly greeted and when we asked if they had a table we were asked if we wanted to eat inside or outside on the balcony which was covered but open to the outside. As this was a Sports bar there were dozens of TVs with American sports showing which neither my husband nor I are interested in. We therefore chose to sit outside with the view of the park or Marion square as it is called.

&*&*&*&*& ~~~ DRINKS ~~&*&*&*&*&

We chose this as it was an ale house so that my husband could try the local draught beer. The choices were in groups from light lager through lager, pilsner , dark lager, wheat beer, kolsh, ale, pale ale, IPA, amber ale, brown ale, stout and porter, lambic, fruit & sour and then there were also bottles of beer and cider to choose from.

My husband is an IPA fan so he selected from the twenty IPAs they had on draught, sadly not all from South Carolina in fact there were none from South Carolina so he went for two from North Carolina. He had two that night, the first was Green Man IPA which was hoppy with a balanced body & copper colour and the second was Raleigh Brewing Co. House of Clay IPA which was a fresh citrusy hop flavour over a sweet malt base.

I am not fond of IPA and find it too hoppy so I opted for a Pilsner type Foothills Torch Pilsner which was a light Czech style Pilsner. That one was enough for me as beer is not really my tipple of choice, luckily they had cocktails too so I had one of those after the beer and that was much nicer.

Our drinks order was taken not long after we sat down and the waiter was very knowledgable and was able to advise us on what beers to have after asking us what kind of beer we liked. The drinks came and by that time we had decided what we wanted to eat and were able to order the food at the same time.

&*&*&*&*& ~~~ FOOD ~~ &*&*&*&*&

There was a comprehensive menu but very much an American bar style of food and you could choose from any of these sections: BAR BITES, SHAREABLES, SOUPS & SALADS, BURGERS, HANDHELDS, ENTRÉES, PIZZAS & TACOS, WINGS & ZINGERS then there were also DESSERTS if you fancied.

We decided to go for dishes to share so we chose three. We had sweet potato fries, a pizza and a salad as neither of us were that hungry. The food was tasty, the salad fresh and the dressing generous. I just love sweet potato fries and order them all the time in the States – they are quite spicy yet still have that sweet potato flavour, crisp on the outside and melt in the mouth inside.

&*&*&*&*& ~~~ AMBIENCE ~~ &*&*&*&*&

This is a Sports bar and in the area where the TVs were playing I could imagine might get very noisy if there was a big game on. There were 50 TVs in this venue and they were playing different sports, baseball, football, bowling, soccer, ice hockey and so on – the noise was unbelievable. When we were there no big games were on but there were still different sports on each TV I could see so we chose to sit outside away from all the TVs. It was lovely to be able to sit outside in the evening and not have to be wearing jumpers.

The view over the park was nice and we were able to people watch while sharing our food and drinks. We were not rushed at all and enjoyed a relaxing time just sitting and looking at all that was going on below.

&*&*&*&*& ~~~ AND OTHER THINGS ~~ &*&*&*&*&

This is a restaurant that is part of a chain mainly in North and South Carolina, but also they have a couple in Georgia, Florida and Tennessee.

They are open seven days a week from  11:00am – 02:00 am

We both used the toilets before we left and they were clean and easy to find.

The bill came quickly when we asked for it. You always have to add a tip or more often have it added for you. I forget which this one was and the price was reasonable. I think we paid around ££25 for both of us for the food and drinks which was fair I think for what we had. The tip was another 12% !! We tend to round it up/down to the nearest $ rather than do exact 12%.

The food was very much American diner style and certainly not gourmet. It was tasty and arrived quickly but was not the sort of food I would want to eat every day and I would quickly get tired of burgers and pizza. It was nice to have a fresh plain salad with dressing on the side as all too often the dressing is poured over and the salad is swimming in it.

&*&*&*&*& ~~~ RECOMMENDED? ~~ &*&*&*&*&

Yes this was a nice enough place to grab a bit to eat. It is not somewhere I would go for a romantic meal or even a nice meal out as choice is limited to American burger and BBQ choices. It did the job for us that night as we needed somewhere we could walk , that was not too expensive and sold variety of beers.

I would not have gone back there for a second night as nothing else on the menu really appealed and also it was interesting for one night but not an experience I would want to repeat to many times.

Thanks for reading.