Carphone Warehouse Insurance

Carphone Warehouse Insurance

Review of "Carphone Warehouse Insurance"

published 18/05/2003 | Cici_Ying
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro Covers everything and easy to claim
Cons Pricey
Prices
Range of Policies
Fairness of contract
Customer service
Speed of reconciliation

"Is it worth it"

I have always bought my phones from Carphone because they provide the widest amount of phones to choose from and generally their customer service is quite good. Guaranteed, come to the end of out lengthy conversation on choosing the phone, network and tariff will be the big speech on how I would benefit from their insurance. I was quite impressed with the amount they cover, such as theft, theft from a car, lost in due care of someone other than the owner as well as the owner. Unauthorised calls between £1000-£2000 depending on the policy, water-liquid damage, loan phone for free if I need to get my phone repaired and more. I was starting to consider taking one of these out when they quoted me the price. £26.95 every three months until I decide I don't want it anymore, and considering I got the mobile for £9.99, would I be too bothered if it got nicked? The employee then told me that should I lose that phone, it would not just cost me £10 to get it again, I was only getting it discounted because I was going on a contract but if I needed to replace the handset it would cost me well over £100.

He then explained that I could take it out and I could cancel it within 14 days should I not decide to keep it as that was their returns policy, even with insurance, he was pressuring me so much that I decided that I would take it out and then cancel it in a few days.

I obviously played into his own hands as I totally forgot to cancel it and within 3 months, I got pick-pocketed on the tube and so luckily I had this policy. The process of the claim was easy, they needed me to cancel my line with my network, and then report it missing to the police to get a crime reference number. I filled in a short form in the shop and then a quick phonecall and they gave me my new phone. Thats when it shocked me, I had an excess fee to pay of £15! I sort of expected it as most insurance policies have an excess but £15??? That is a bit extortionate!!!

I don't regret having insurance but I think I would buy direct through the network as they are much cheaper from now on!

• Benniash published 18/05/2003
    My friend had to pay a similar amount - it just seems crazy. Benn

Product Information : Carphone Warehouse Insurance