Carry On Matron (DVD)

Carry On Matron (DVD)

Review of "Carry On Matron (DVD)"

published 19/03/2017 | CoffeeQueen68
Member since : 08/01/2014
Pro An entertaining and fun film.
Cons None
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Oooo Matron!"

Matron & Francis in the film.

Matron & Francis in the film.

FILM ONLY REVIEW

I love the Carry On films and always find myself watching them when they come on TV. When recently Carry On Matron was on telly one afternoon, I knew I was in for a good time. I remember my Gran telling me once that she never watch them as she considered them vulgar lol.

Film Information

Barbara Windsor - Nurse Susan Ball
Bernard Breslaw - Ernie Bragg
Kenneth Cope - Cyril Carter
The Film

This film is the 23rd film in the Carry On series. Sid Carter is the head of a criminal gang along with Ernie Bragg, Freddie and his son Cyril. Although Cyril does not want a life of crime, he is blackmailed by his father, Sid. Cyril is made to dress up as a female nurse to go in undercover. They want to rob Finisham Maternity Hospital of its contraceptive pills. But this is a Carry On film, so things are not going to run as smoothly as planned.

Matron: (handing Bernard envelopes)...by the way, your mail.
Bernard: Yes, I am! And I can prove it, d'you hear! Prove it!

Whilst all this is going on, Bernard Cutting, the head of the hospital, is sure he is going to have a sex change, With him being a bit of a hypochondriac it's impossible not to laugh at the antics that happens throughout the film. With all this going on, poor old Mr Tidey is beside himself waiting for his wife to give birth. But Mrs Tidey, played by Joan Sims, is more interested in eating the hospital out of house and home. Her appetite leaves little to be desired. And all the other husbands are rejoicing at the birth of their babies, Mr Tidey is anxiously waiting for his baby to be born.

Dr. Francis A. Goode: As a matter of fact I was talking to my wife only the other day. "Hamlet," I said... I call her Hamlet because she thinks she's a Great Dane. Isn't it silly?
Sir Bernard Cutting: Dr Goode, I am not interested in your wife.
Dr. Francis A. Goode: That's a funny thing. Neither am I. Is this interesting?

My Thoughts

Although this is one of the latter Carry On films, and the cast obviously as young as they were when the series of films first began in the 60's it's still very funny with the slapstick comedy in it. The one liners and innuendos are still in full force, making me laugh out loud. Yes, it will be seen as mildly rude with some of the gags, but that's Carry On for you. I particularly like the scene between Charles Hawtrey and Hattie Jacques as they prepare to sit down to watch a medical programme on TV. The build up chat to the scene implies they are going to do something far more worse than watch TV!

I particularly like Charles Hawtrey. He was always a favourite of mine in the Carry On films, so he always makes me laugh. I think, although the Carry On film series had been running for a number of years by this time, it was still very funny with plenty of comedy it it. I like the fact that there are 2 or 3 storylines. With Sid's crime racket being the main focus of the film, I do like the sub-stories with the Tidey's and Kenneth Williams character. The puns in the film are funny to - Finisham Hospital for one lol. It takes clever people to write gags and jokes like this.

Although this is more than 20 years old, I still find myself laughing at it. The Carry On films are timeless classics I think. They always make me laugh.

Price and Availability

This special edition DVD is available on Amazon. A new copy costs £2.39 and from £1.06 for a used copy. This can also be viewed on Amazon Instant Prime for £2.49.

• Pointress published 04/04/2017