Casio FX 83 ES

Casio FX 83 ES

Review of "Casio FX 83 ES"

published 04/05/2011 | milly234
Member since : 28/12/2009
Pro easy to use, price
Cons i keep losing mine!
Look & Feel
Robustness & Durability
Range of Extra Features
Instruction manual

"Cool Casio Calculator"

I have had a few of these calculators over my time and I've used them for GCSEs, A Levels, University, at home (for working out where my money's gone!) and I also use this model at work too. It is an integral part of the Casio range and compared to the rest of the range, I think this model sits in the middle both in terms of price and in terms of functionality.

This model is not unlike others which Casio offer and it looks similar to many of them. It is a really slim line calculator and it comes with a slide off lid. I have lost a few of the lids over the years as you aren’t often allowed to take this part into school exams and once these things get separated, they often never re-unite! Printed on the sticker of the lid are instructions of things to do with the calculator including how to use the memory function etc. Because the model is so slim, I find it easily fits into my pocket, handbag or school bag and this I think is a really good feature.

This model is not a graphic calculator but it is a scientific calculator. This means it is allowed for school etc exams, and also, it keeps it simple and is not too baffling. It has functions for trigonometry and mathsy things on a similar level to this and I have never found the need for more functions (but then, I hated graphs and never did further maths!)

The many many buttons on this calculator are well labelled and it is easy to pick one of these up with no prior experience of using this model and learn how to use it. The only thing which flummoxed me was the conversion between fractions and decimals. Turns out all you need to do is press SD and it does it (and you can also go back the other way).

I often use this calculator at home when I am working out bills and budgets etc. I think it is a very important piece of office-ware and it is sooo useful!

The screen size of this is quite small (approx 2cm by 6cm) but it doesn’t feel small as it is perfectly adequate. The numbers are easy to see and you can do things like 2 line fractions really easily.

The version I have currently is not solar powered its battery powered and I think I bought it because I was so petrified that my calc would stop working mid-exam but I think you can also get this in solar powered format. The battery I have in mine has never been changed and the calculator is still going strong and I’ve been using this one for a few years.

I think this calculator is really really versatile and I definitely recommend it. I think it is so multi-purpose and easy to use that (providing you don’t lose them like I have); buying this for someone aged about 11 will set them up for ages.

I have re-bought this model when my previous ones have got mis-placed which I think shows how much I like it (I recommend it to myself!). They only cost about £7 and are widely available (from places like Amazon, WH Smith, Tesco etc) but shop around because they can cost more. I think this is good value and I am happy to pay this for a brilliantly useful and reliable tool.