Review of "Cat Attack!"

published 29/05/2016 | 2mennycds
Member since : 28/08/2015
Best wishes to all, and thanks for your kind rates and comments, have been half-expecting the latest announcement for at least the last year. Have thoroughly enjoyed being a member over the last couple of years or so.
Pro Visually attractive, easy to play, suits children/adults
Cons Can sometimes go on too long
Playability & Enjoyment
Design & Presentation

"Claws out - hiss, and spit!"

Cat Attack!

Cat Attack!

This is a family game aimed at ages “8-108” according to the box. Although it’s a strategy game, its rather a childish one. We’ve played with children, but we play it as adults mainly. My children are aged 30 and 32 and enjoy it. My son and my wife especially enjoy it as they are crazy about cats.

We often play a board game when my son visits for a few days, and this is a fairly firm favourite (the others being “Careers” and “Go For Broke”.

Rather than go into too much detail, I’ll give an overview of the game first, and evaluate it towards the end of the review.

The aim

The objective of the game is to be the first to collect six food items: a tin of fish, a pack of vitamins, a bowl of milk, a tin of cat food, a mouse, and a bird. Or, if you play it really mean, it may be possible to win by being last cat standing when the others have lost all of the nine lives with which every player commences the game.

How it plays out

The board is marked out as a kind of map. On it are marked the houses where each cat lives, along with four streets, one each of which runs along an edge of the board. As the roads make hazardous routes (a car can appear and drive clockwise at almost any time) there are also other routes that track across the inner part of the board.

With the exception of the mouse and bird, each of the other food items is obtained from the relevant “shop” – the fishmonger’s for the tin of fish, the dairy for the bowl of milk, the grocer’s for the tin of cat food, and the vet’s for the vitamins. The number of food items placed on the board corresponds to the number that need to be collected by all players.

If the shop is “open”, the item can be obtained by landing on the correct space; if “closed” – well the cat needs to be a “cat burglar” and can raid the premises if holding the appropriate card!

The mouse and the bird are obtained by landing on a space on which one rests at any given moment. More of this later.

Items can also be stolen from another player (cat) by raiding that cat’s house.

Each player begins with nine counters (each representing on of the cat’s legendary lives) and six “Mog” cards. Typically these will allow him to move his cat the defined number of spaces, move a mouse (or bird) a specified number of spaces (towards himself or away from another player’s cat), though there are others. Each time a life is lost (for example if the unfortunate feline is run over on one of the four roads) a counter is surrendered.

Turn by turn

Each player does three things in his or her turn.

~~~~~ plays a “Mog” card and follows its instructions. Typically this may be to move your cat token, a mouse or bird token, or the card ma enable him (for example) to shake the die three additional times in that turn.

~~~~~ picks up a new “Mog” card to replace the one he has just played

~~~~~ rolls the die to move his cat

There are also “Curiosity” cards. A player who lands on a “Curiosity” space must pick one of these cards and follow its instructions immediately. These are “chance” cards and may be good or bad for the player who draws it, and/or for other players. For example the card may instruct that the car moves clockwise to a specified street; any cats in its way then lose a life and return to their “home” space.

What I like about it

I like the game because it’s fun, and doesn’t require much thought. It has its highs and lows, so just when you think you are getting ahead, you suddenly find that someone has stolen one of your items, or you just can’t get the right score on the die to be able to do what you want.

We like the playing tokens: the cat tokens are most certainly cat-like and appropriately chunky. They measure an inch or so to the tips of their ears. Similarly the bird and mice tokens are nicely shaped and easy to handle.

I think that these playing tokens would appeal to children (as well as to childish adults). I also think the board is bright and nicely designed for children.

Some decision is required about risk taking: whether to take a short-cut along the road and risk being run over and losing a life, whether to “attack” another cat and risk losing, and so on.

I like the game because it’s light-hearted and I’m not too bothered whether I win or lose. On the other hand, we play it fairly gently; it could be played in a much meaner, tougher way if you chose!

I like the game, too, because if playing with younger children (as opposed to childish adults!) you could give them more chance of winning without appearing patronising. For example you could steal food items from an adult player and not from the child.

I like the game because there are some suggestions in the rules for shortening (or lengthening) the game, also for accommodating younger players, and even a suggestion for playing in pairs or teams. I think that these are very useful tips, and I think it speaks well of the games production team that they thought to include them.

I like the game because, as board games go, I think this represents good value. We have bought some over the years that have been a total waste of money or have made us feel that they are very over-priced for what they are. The contents and playability of this game, in my opinion, make it good value for money.

What I don’t like about it

As with any game where chance plays a part, this game can become a little tedious at times. The “Curiosity” (“chance”) cards in particular can make the game drag sometimes. Some of these cards read that (for example) the grocer’s shop is closed. This makes it harder to obtain the food item. Sometimes we remove some of these before commencing play. It’s the sort of game we want to spend an hour or so playing; we really don’t want to spend an entire evening doing so.

On the other hand, as mentioned above, there are other ways of shortening the game.

Summarising the game’s claims:

Number of players: 2-6
Age range: 8-108
“A strategy game”
“A hilarious interactive family board game where you ARE the street’s leanest, meanest, roughest, toughest mog”.

I think that the intended minimum of 8 is probably about right.

Final thoughts

Ideally I’d rate this 3.5 stars. It’s fun to play, though I don’t think it lives to the claim on the box lid that it is a “hilarious” interactive family game. Maybe we don’t play it quite as ruthlessly as it’s intended to be played, though! I think that on the whole it deserves more than 3 stars, though, so have rounded it up to 4.

To be truthful it’s a game I have no objection to playing, but equally it isn’t one I would really choose to play either. Once it’s under way I’m content enough, but as mentioned above it isn’t a game I’d want to spend all evening playing, either.

It doesn’t seem to be too readily available at the moment. I note that Amazon are advertising it new for £29.75 and used for £22.00. E-Bay list it from £9.50 as “complete”.

• IzzyS published 08/10/2017