Catfishing Caspe, Caspe

Review of "Catfishing Caspe, Caspe"

published 22/02/2017 | bettyboo47
Member since : 11/03/2014
So good to have Ciao up and running again!!
Pro friendly, professional, excellent local knowledge
Cons Might ruin you forever for fishing in Britain
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Fish are jumping, And the cotton is high"

Catfishing Caspe, Caspe

Me and fishing?? It really doesn't add up does it? But yet, life has a funny way of biting you on the bum and much to my surprise and consternation, last summer I found myself sitting on a river bank participating-ish in the most prolific hobby in the world.

It just so happens that the husband of a very good friend of mine is a mahoosive fishing addict and for his 40th birthday last year, she decided to arrange for him to have the fishing trip of a lifetime on the River Ebro in Spain. As I spend a lot of my time in Spain, I was very much involved with the planning and arranged to spend two days with them during their holiday. The rest of the experiences have been recounted in detail to me for this review.
Caspe

She, of course knew nothing about fishing at all, but although I am not interested myself, I knew the fame of the river Ebro which is the best location in the world for fishing the giant Wels catfish. as it flows though my adopted town in the Catalunyan region of Spain, so I was able to give her a few tips. Down in Catalunya the river has spread out a bit and is free flowing towards the sea...very difficult to fish indeed although there are some good specimens for those with perseverance. Up above the many dams, however, the fish are trapped and I was well aware that these were the places to find the real specimen catfish and carp, and a much more sensible choice for the holiday maker with limited time. In particular, a prime fishing spot (and record breaking fish) is found where the river is trapped behind yet another dam, near to a town called Caspe, and has swollen so big that it has become known as the "Mar de Aragon" (literally the Aragon Sea).

Guided Fishing vs DIY

With only a week or at best a two week window to catch that fish of a lifetime, paying a little extra to have a guide seems like a very good idea. Fish can be very fickle and behave very differently in different circumstances, times of year and locations. It can take years to get to know how a certain location fishes so by choosing a guide carefully you can benefit from his or her extensive experience and knowledge of the local area and its pescine inhabitants. Indeed on the day I spent fishing, we spoke to two other groups, one of which was going DIY having rented all the specialist equipment but had caught nothing, and another who were with a guide but had caught less than half of our catch.
So how to choose a guide

This is a tricky one as there is so much competition amongst fishing guides on this great river in Spain, and we sat looking on the internet, glasses of beer to hand, for 3 or 4 hours before she made her final choice. This was eventually decided, partly of course to price, but ultimately to the great photos on the easy to read and user friendly website and the fantastic customer reviews of her choice... CatfishingCaspe.

Getting There

My friend and her husband found a cheap Ryanair flight from Luton to Zaragoza airport and then hired a car with Hertz to drive the 1hour 10 minutes to the booked accommodation. It would also have been possible to catch the airport bus and then a train for 10.45 euros to take them to the local town of Caspe where owner, Steve, could have picked them up, or a taxi could have been arranged all the way from the airport for the cost of 130 euro. She also considered flights into Reus airport (around two hours by car/train) or Barcelona airport (around three hours by car/train)

Catfishing Caspe
438 ronda de Catalunya y Aragon
Peninsular de Chacon
Caspe

Tel: (0034) 976019413

www.catfishingcaspe.com

www.facebook.com/catfishingcaspe/

Situated a few kilometres outside the small market town of Caspe, within a stone's throw of the Mar de Aragon, they found the house easily with the use of the detailed instructions they had been given in advance. A smart modern bungalow set in the centre of a planted garden, there was adequate parking in the front garden for two or three cars as well as the owners fishing boats. In the event they found it very useful to have their own car to go into town to enjoy the bars and restaurants when all the fishing fun was over and to explore further afield on their day off.
My Visit

Living for some of the year just one hour down the road, I of course arranged to spend a couple of days with my friends, never refusing a chance for a bit of fun. Turning up at 8am on the Friday, I found everybody was already set and ready to go. Guide Steve had prepared the boat and the equipment, and everyone was breakfasted and had their packed lunches ready to go, including an extra one for little old me as my kind friends had paid for an extra days meals for me.

We set off for the day, and after quickly helping to launch the boat at the nearby slipway just 50 yds from the house we were speeding across the water to the swim, a small stony beach, with an amazing view over the water.
The Fishing

Now I can claim to know nothing about the noble art of fishing, and I didn't have or want my own rods but I found the whole process fascinating and learned a lot during the day from our highly knowledgeable guide. They were fishing for the giant Wels catfish for which these waters are famous, and which can grow up to 100 kg plus, so his advice and local knowledge was invaluable. He showed them how to set up the hooks and lines, explained clearly what they needed to do and why, and was thoroughly busy all day going backwards and forwards placing the lines accurately with the help of his boat and high tech fish finders, and helping them strike onto and land the enormous fish.

My friend and her husband also had a very active day and managed to catch seven enormous fish between them, six catfish ranging from 73 lb to two monsters of 112 lb and 123 lb, and one random carp who thought he could steal some catfish bait, which seemed small after the the catfish but was apparently quite a whopper too at 43lb.

Fighting those monster catfish after they have been hooked looked like really hard work and each catch took around 20 minutes to land, but judging by the huge grins on their faces it was a fight that they relished. Once landed, each fish was measured weighed and photographed before returning it safely back to the water to fight another day. They were the ugliest specimens you could imagine with wide gaping mouths and slimy bodies, but apparently for fishermen these fish are one of those catches of a lifetime.

Supper

By 5pm we were all feeling tired from the hot sun, fresh air and expenditure of energy and were glad to pack up the gear and head home. The evening meal was to be served at 7pm so we went back around the corner to the studio apartment my friends had rented, and where guide and owner Steve had kindly provided me with a put-you-up bed. There was just time for showers, checking our emails with the free wifi and a sneaky glass of wine before supper was served.

Dinner, tea or supper, call it what you like, a delicious, homecooked lasagne was served up at the large wooden patio table in the fly free zone of the main house, followed by ice cream and fresh fruit. Helped along with complementary wine, beer and fresh crusty bread we sat relaxing and chatting with owner and guide Steve till gone 9.30 in a lovely chilled out atmosphere.

Having cooked up a plan to go for a moonlight walk, spurred on by alcohol I am sure, we were kindly lent a torch, a stick and a rudimentary map to carry our our mad plan and spent the rest of the night half lost in the Spanish countryside.
The Accommodation

The accommodation which I shared with my friends for just the one night, consisted of a large, light and bright, and spotlessly clean studio apartment, approx 5m x 4.5m, decorated in neutral magnolia. Modern and quietly stylish it must have been well insulated as it felt like a cool retreat from the 40 degree heat outside. It had two single beds which they had rearranged to be together, two Ikea type bent wood armchairs, a TV with basic English TV channels, a wardrobe, a set of drawers, and small coffee table. There was also a small but perfectly formed kitchenette if they had wished to self cater, that seemed to be well equipped as far as I could see with a fridge, microwave, gas hob and cupboards well stocked with crockery, cutlery and utensils, and the all important kettle.

The modern bathroom was also as clean as a whistle, the reflective surfaces and beige tiles shining, and the grouting looking like it had been done yesterday. The glass shower cubicle had plenty of hot water for the three of us, which I believe was supplied via solar panels and the towels were soft and fluffy.

Outside was a patio area with table, chairs and sunshade plus a wheeled barbecue, as well as a small above ground pool shared with the owner and the one other studio apartment. As we were round the corner from the main house and there was no one in the other apartment, we had the patio and pool to ourselves and it was lovely to sit outside listening to the cicadas, looking at the stars and enjoying the cool of the evening.

A day off

As the following day was Saturday, and my friends had booked five days fishing Monday to Friday, they had the day off to explore the area, and were torn between the beaches of the Costa Dorado or the city of Zaragoza, both just over an hour's drive. After our continental breakfast of cold meats, cheeses, yogurts, toast and jam with plenty of coffee and tea, served up this time inside the main house, we settled on Zaragoza and thoroughly enjoyed our day looking round the Basilica de Nuestra Senora Pilar, the Cathedral de Salvador and the Palacio de la Aljaferia, all fascinatingly impressive.
Prices

My friends paid for the inclusive package with Catfishing Caspe which included:

7 nights accommodation
5 days guided fishing
all necessary equipment (except pellets and terminal tackle for carp)
fishing licences and day tickets

The price for this package varies depending on the size of the group:
1 person 790 euros (£672) per person
2 people 590 euros (£502) per person
3 people 530 euros (£451) per person
4 people 490 euros (£417) per person

Full board ( breakfast, lunch and supper) 25 euros (£21) per person/per day

It was also possible to buy each service separately if a full package wasn't required. For more information visit www.catfishingcaspe.com

Accessibility

Unfortunately as this is an activity holiday and involves climbing in and out of small boats, walking in uneven surfaces, and a degree of strength and fitness to land the fish (although there is always help with this if needed), I would consider this holiday unsuitable for those of limited mobility or wheelchair users. Older children would enjoy it very much if they had an interest in fishing, although five continuous days of the activity might stretch their attention span. But if less fishing days are booked and a hire car is utilised then there are other attractions further afield to amuse them.
My Opinion

For fishermen this seems to be an ideal holiday. So many fishermen feel they have to catch long haul flights to get that truly memorable fish so catching the fish of a lifetime, and possibly a record beater, in an easily accessible country like Spain is a dream come true. Both the Facebook page and website shows photos of people catching their personal best over and over again with this guide, and my friends husband joined this happy band, getting the traditional bucket of water over his head for joining the ton-up club (catching a fish over 100lb). As far as I could see Catfishing Caspe provided an excellent service with invaluable local knowledge, good accommodation and good food and led their customers to the best fishing on the Ebro, which is the best fishing in Spain.
Sun, sangria and pb fish....what more could a man want?

• siberian-queen published 09/03/2017
    fantastic review, but i can almost feel the look of horror of my pet catfish's face!
  • euphie published 05/03/2017